Discuss Speaker Cable in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Guys

Just looking at recommendations for speaker cable (for my own house as the first fix is coming up)

There seem to be a number of grades and prices!

Thanks

Guys

Just looking at recommendations for speaker cable (for my own house as the first fix is coming up)

There seem to be a number of grades and prices!

Thanks

I used this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html and it is quite a heavy cable I have a 5 x 100watt amp, to be honest if I plug a cheaper 42 strand cable into my speakers and then a 79 strand, I cannot hear any difference!:) There isn't a great price difference between the 42 and 79 strand at TLC about £13 per 100m. You would probably notice the difference between these if you had a really powerful system or a really good ear!;-)

As Roly say's really. I installed speaker in my home and installed the heavier stuff but I doubt I could tell you the difference.
I suppose that if it is a long run though the heavier grade makes sense for volt drop. Couldn't tell you how much though.

I used this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html and it is quite a heavy cable I have a 5 x 100watt amp, to be honest if I plug a cheaper 42 strand cable into my speakers and then a 79 strand, I cannot hear any difference!:) There isn't a great price difference between the 42 and 79 strand at TLC about £13 per 100m. You would probably notice the difference between these if you had a really powerful system or a really good ear!;-)

You won't notice any difference in a blind test! Professional audio installations often use standard singles and nobody can tell any difference with the super oxygen free interdimensional cryogenically doodahed cables

or just use up some leftover cat 5.double the cores up.

on a touring PA system you will have a heavy duty H07 cables with something like 2.5/4mm csa. does the job for even the biggest amplifiers...
1mm cable will be more than enough for any home hifi. dont need to be gold oxygen free audiophile type one, standard two core multistranded flex will do. stick some bootlace ferrules at the ends for nice terminations.

Mechanically, old T&E easily breaks if amps are moved e.g. in an office.

anything that interrupts the crap shoved through the airwaves by the likes of radio 1 has got to be a good thing.

Not really. We have done a few where the guy has wired himself (10 rooms with one cable in each) then plastered and painted, and THEN comes in for the amp/speakers. Most systems we do for Sparks are 100v as they are commercial. But same applies to domestic. A good OFC 1.omm will do most systems. The hifi fanatics do believe in 6.0mm harvested at midnight gold dipped 2000 strand 'one way only' cable marketed in expensive magazines, but what else do they spend money on? Plebs like us can't hear any difference. If it needs to sound great, spend dosh on the speakers. Yamaha do amps good enough for most of us.

NEVER use T&E. HF travels on the surface area of the stranded copper so using T&E limits the surface area.

There is really no need to shout, can you back up your point with something more than just a brief description of the skin effect?
Whilst the skin effect exists you won’t hear a difference in a home audio system.
Doing a quick bit of research I’ve found that generally the limit of human hearing is around 20kHz, at this frequency the radial skin depth in round copper conductors is around 0.4mm which coincidentally approximates to the diameter of 1.5sqmm solid conductors. So the effective depth of the conductor used by the audible frequencies is all of the conductor.

Reply to Speaker Cable in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock