Discuss Speaker Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SYKRAPS

I came across a job today where the speakers are connected using 1mm twin and earth, not being very well versed in this area can you guys list the pros and cons of this "if any".

Should I change this or not? It should bo ok right? I have not seen it working so I don't want any comeback because if the quality is poor when the electric is restored the customer is bound to complain that it used to be better.

Thanks..............

Don't change it. This stuff used to be highly recommended by some hi-fi experts. I guarantee if you do a straight comparison between this and 'proper' speaker cable you won't notice a difference.
You could always offer him an upgrade to 6mm! :shades_smile: Daz

It could be, or it could be because I couldn't be bothered looking through all the smilies! Daz :24:

SKYRAPS, how come you put a 'like' on dim_bulbs comment, but not on my original answer to your question ?? Extra-white Daz

You could use SWA and the armour would act as shielding and reduce the noise.Seriously I think CAT 5 would give better frequency response than flat twin plus it comes with shielding.

I read in a hi-fi magazine (or it might have been a Richer Sounds catalogue) that many audiophiles use 6mm twin with the cpc cut out.
Same theory behind it - the larger the csa the better.

how big speakers? should do the job up to around 300watts rms. only problem i see that solid wire may break if someone is going to move them too much. if its for an install then no problems.

you need to go on a citreon saxo forum as they seem to have a good understanding of big loud speakers and cable

sorry im just being sterotypical....:presents1:

Reply to Speaker Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have just removed a rather expensive CD system from a house. I did explain to the customer that I thought it was worth quite a bit, but they...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Has anyone got any experience with Lemo jacks and sound powered phones? Our supplier can't provide us with anything pre-installed with a...
Replies
Views
Firstly, I hope it is ok to discuss the wiring of speakers here. TBH my ignorance in all things electrical knows no bounds, and I am guessing it...
Replies
Views
Background: I am not an electrician, I am a retired professional engineer high power broadcast transmitter design , but am dabbling outside my...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Just looking for some advice: I'm in the process of updating an old cable calc spreadsheet that helps to spit out Zs and Voltage Drop...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock