Discuss speakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If these are for stereo sound then I think its better if they are the same wattage no? Also they must be some small speakers right

3 and 6 watts, is there any point? Ultinator is right, they should really be the same wattage, depending on how they're hooked up will dictate if they need an amp. A bit more info if you please mate

think says 100v , 3 or 6 watt, they are 240mm cut out and 270mm overall.

it has red , black blue conections, then going to transformer then off to - +

ok, if each speaker says 3 & 9 then what they probably mean is that they are a twin driver unit and the mid/high is 3 and the low is 9. Therefore, you either need 2 x stereo amps (so four ways of amplification) with a crossover network or they already have an internal network (most likely) so you just need one stereo amp. However, with ratings that low you'll need to check that they aren't 100v line speakers rather than low impedance ones.

Car speakers are an entirely different breed to normal ones, and there are several different ways of 'rating' output. We use pro cabinets that sound fantastic, cost around £1k each, able to project music and speech to vast areas...rating is only 30w.

Either way, you will need an amp suitable for the job. So if they're 100v, then you will need an amp for 100v line speakers as opposed to a standard hifi amp.

Where will these speakers be mounted? Ceiling?

Now, I have never worked with 100v stuff before but being a sound engineer, I am aware that they are definitely a different ball game to standard stereo PA speakers or HiFi stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

'Sounds like' (sorry couldn't resist the pun) you've got 100V line speakers (PA system type of thing?) - step transformer on the back? If so, yes you will need a line amp to go with them and then you can plug in your music player into that - or get one that is an 'All in one' - Speakers can be different ohms as well 2ohms / 4ohms / 8 Ohms speakers - the systems need to match or wired in to match the output from the amp. Best call a dedicated outlet and seek advice - tell them what you want and I'm sure they'll offer a solution to fit ( and relieve you of a few brown beer tokens :)

Kylie will have to wait a few more days before she's amusing the punters as they chew on a bacon buttie....

I=P/U,

I have fitted these 100V line speakers before, it is to allow long cable runs without loss of volume using thinner cables due to VD, they are usually fitted in offices and some factories for announcements and backround music and the like.
Higher voltage = lower current type of thing.

Edit: you can also connect two or more 100V line speakers together paralleled up, as the transformers are high impedance and don't overload the 100V line amp.

If you want to use them on a normal hi-Fi, and the cable run is fairly short, then you can just disconnect the step down transformer and wire direct to the speaker, but do check the Ohms value of the speaker first, you can use a higher ohm speaker but not a lower, for example if your music centre or whatever uses 8 ohms max, then you can put 16 ohm speakers on, they will be quieter but will not damage the amp, but if you put 4 ohms speakers on you will damage the amp.

Last edited:
i think il wait to see the hifi they provide , the cable runs are no more than 15m and they have silver and copper , clear glass coated flex.. but i know a little more now . ty cheers massive sparky ears

For a 15M run you'll not need an amplifier with a 100V line output, although nothing to stop you using one. No need for expensive cable, but use something chunkier than bell wire. Daz

Reply to speakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock