Discuss Special installation in a special location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

EastAnglian

Found while doing an EICR today - see picture.

Special installation in a special location htr_bath - EletriciansForums.net

OK- its just outside Zone 1 by a few mm, but the storage rad circuits are not RCD protected and there's no supplementary bonding in the bathroom.

I disconnected it, then got told "it doesn't work anyway" ..... I guess it got wet!

However, worse than this was the portable fan heater perched on top of the rad plugged into an extension lead run under the bathroom door!

You can bring any installation up to spec. You can’t account for the stupidity of people (the extension lead).

All you can do is advise, after that it’s up to the Muppets limited common sense ? ? ? ?

Think you will find that is an IP rated storage from dimplex which is designed for a bathroom, you can tell as no controls on top.
In saying that now it should be rcd unless is got bathroom bonding.

Edit

only just seen the lead at the bottom, whoops

Last edited:
Def is IPX2, with disconnecting peoples equipment, does anyone still disconnect without the users permission, we use the Electrical Danger Notification form to cover ourselves if they kick up a stink about disconnection

Should be like Gas supply being disconnected if the is something dangerous

Yes, its IPX2, but so close to a basin from the practical perspective (rather than legal) I'm not convinced that protection against "dripping water" is sufficient. The good news is that the landlord has taken his responsibilities seriously and has authorised me to re-locate this heater and then fit a wall-mounted convector into the bathroom. He will then advise his tenants that a portable fan heater is not to be taken into the room (though as you say, ultimately muppetry will prevail!).

A1guvnor - I would only disconnect without permission if I found a C1 fault - and only then if I wasn't able to fix or at least make safe the problem on the spot. I will always cover myself with Danger Notification Notices, and always try to get an owner's signature on this too.

A1guvnor - I would only disconnect without permission if I found a C1 fault - and only then if I wasn't able to fix or at least make safe the problem on the spot. I will always cover myself with Danger Notification Notices said:
Totally with you there and i would not leave things like exposed parts in a live dangerous condition but in all cases i back it up with the EDN, just thought i had seen somewhere mentioning about not disconnecting without permission, maybe it was a bad dream, lol

Reply to Special installation in a special location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock