Discuss Special location - bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
Quoting for new lights in bathroom along with adding extractor fan

Reading into the regs, above 225cm is out of zone and therefore a swapout only requires minor cert. Fan motor will be in the loft with only the vent being in the location however out of zone. Am i right with the requirement to issue only a minor works cert ?

however, if i replace current single fitting with multiple downlights then even though these will be out of zone due to being above 225cm. This work will require notification

Currently only work inside the zones (0,1, and 2) of a location containing a bath or shower requires notification. This applies to England only.

Currently only work inside the zones (0,1, and 2) of a location containing a bath or shower requires notification. This applies to England only.
In that case what you are saying that the other day when we installed a inline fan in loft and changed bathroom light to 2 IP downlights outside zone hights would not need to come under part P.

Everything you describe is a modification of an existing circuit and so would require a minor electrical installation works certificate.
So long as all the cables on which you are working are outside of the bathroom zones then none of it would be notifiable to building control.

thanks for the replies and is what i want to hear, however im struggling to get by page 25 in the IET Electricians guide to the building regs which states - 1.5.2 Notifiable work - building notice etc is required where the work consists of - a, installation of new circuit b, replacement of CU and c, any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location

thanks for the replies and is what i want to hear, however im struggling to get by page 25 in the IET Electricians guide to the building regs which states - 1.5.2 Notifiable work - building notice etc is required where the work consists of - a, installation of new circuit b, replacement of CU and c, any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location

The Part P definition of special location is different to that of the regs.

In part P it is defined as "The zones of a location containing a bath or shower, or a location containing a swimming pool or sauna"

But look it up yourself for the exact wording

I think it goes on to show limitations of a special location

Yes quite correct.
This is not a special location as per BS7671, but a special location as per the Building Regs, which is anywhere within a zone.

Hi please can anyone tell me in a bathroom if I got a window with top opener do I need to install an extractor fan or not according to regs
If yes please tell me what regs is it in book
Thank you

Hi please can anyone tell me in a bathroom if I got a window with top opener do I need to install an extractor fan or not according to regs
If yes please tell me what regs is it in book
Thank you
I don’t believe you do.
Best place to look for relevant Regulations would be in the Building Regulations.

Reply to Special location - bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net