Discuss Spider ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings ladies/gents. Any advice on the following. avid diyer I’m afraid.... on plans to move rad pipes under the floor upstairs I also decided to place some more sockets in the bedroom ( only 2 at opposite sides of room) since then lifted floor boards and discovered they are spurred off the sockets below. Now my question is this. I’m quite happy to add a ring to the upstairs and feed it down to the consumer unit. Also happy to terminate the old wiring in wago boxes or junction boxes under floor And disconnect from ring sockets below where possible Would this be acceptable to your ears. One more thing. Am going to ask would a spark add a isolator from meter tails or would this be the meter supplier... I’m happy for him/her to test my work too I do like to be tidy. Anyone have any views..

Installing a new circuit is notifiable work under part P, you need to speak to building control before starting the work to establish what they will require from you for them to be able to approve and sign off the work.

If you are getting an electrician to test and sign off your work they also need to be involved from the beginning, they will need to see your design and calculations for the circuit and advise of any changes to comply with the regulations. They will also need to inspect all cable runs before they are covered and then inspect and test before the circuit is energised.

You need to ensure that the basic requirements of the regulations have been satisfied before starting, particularly regards earthing, bonding, RCD protection etc.

Installing a new circuit is notifiable work under part P, you need to speak to building control before starting the work to establish what they will require from you for them to be able to approve and sign off the work.

If you are getting an electrician to test and sign off your work they also need to be involved from the beginning, they will need to see your design and calculations for the circuit and advise of any changes to comply with the regulations. They will also need to inspect all cable runs before they are covered and then inspect and test before the circuit is energised.

You need to ensure that the basic requirements of the regulations have been satisfied before starting, particularly regards earthing, bonding, RCD protection etc.
^What he said.

:)

Righto... I checked the Scot gov website a while back and it did say a warrant wasn’t required for 2 storey house anyhoo Will phone the council and check. Absolutely, neighbour gave me his electricians number and was going to get him in for advice and quote.

If you’re in Scotland, part p doesn’t apply, but it is advisable to have an electrician involved.

One note of caution. Don’t run cables right next to heating pipes.
Also use WAGOs AND a joint box. (You said “or” in the OP)
Mains isolators are normally put in by supplier.... but they will want you to have a smart meter while you’re at it.
Finally.... love the username. Hobbit and Star Wars references

Thanks for all the reply’s everyone. Very helpful. Cable run will be at least half a meter away from the central heating pipes ? The cable run itself is not more than 30 meters from CU and back with 4 double sockets and one switched fused spur for external led floodlight, much better than 2 singles?. Very happy to have a spark check my work ?. Will use the wagos as suggested.

Not really happy with live cables running up middle of walls. Only noticed this when I decorated the living room last year. The amount of picture hooks in the past that so very nearly ended In Tears.. shudders.....

Thanks for all the reply’s everyone. Very helpful. Cable run will be at least half a meter away from the central heating pipes ? The cable run itself is not more than 30 meters from CU and back with 4 double sockets and one switched fused spur for external led floodlight, much better than 2 singles?. Very happy to have a spark check my work ?. Will use the wagos as suggested.

Not really happy with live cables running up middle of walls. Only noticed this when I decorated the living room last year. The amount of picture hooks in the past that so very nearly ended In Tears.. shudders.....
if the cables in the walls have been installed correctly, you should know where they are. ..... directly in line with sockets and switches. no diagonals and no dog's legs.

Not to fussed about smart meter TBH think they said we couldn’t have one last time or “ not in our area”. Will give them a bell...

A few of the cables do run off at odd angles from the socket and not vertical ?. Thankfully I haven’t discovered any dog leg cables....yet?

Good thread this. And exactly why we stopped simply replying with 'get a sparky in' kinda posts which are just off-putting.

Thanks for updating with more info!

Thanks for all the info folks. I half expected the get a sparky in from the beginning TBF especially when I put the DIY bit in but it’s been very pleasant to xperience. Thanks all. on most cases I’d certainly agree thankfully we’re not all diy clowns and know our limits. It’s also got the potential to just galvanise some into pressing on regs dress and miss something important. I do feel quite competent, border line OCD accurate and tidy in creating the ring putting back boxes in and sockets and so on but once it gets to the CU I’m more than happy for someone to check my work and once there happy then to energise it. A lot of good comments and suggestions here. Its all much appreciated everyone.?

Reply to Spider ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net