Discuss Split lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobodhi

I'm about to do a rewire on an old lighting circuit. I'll have to remove and replace some wiring but not all, thing is, up till now all the circuits I've worked have followed a nice neat radial pattern, but this one is split into 2 or more sections, ie; the line from the cu is split at a jb to feed lights in different rooms not in sequence as per all the nice neat diagrams in the books.
I've reviewed the regs, but can see no reason why i should put the customer to unnecessary time and expense to wire it in sequence if the wiring is already sound and I can't detect any faults.
Is this ok or am I missing something?

Why the rewire in the first place does that reason apply to the rest of it that you want to leave as is if it does not apply no reason the change it if all tests check out.

Hope that helps

Chris

Hi, sorry but I don't think you understood my question. The re-wire is necessary, some of the wiring is old rubber and is disintegrating, it has been attacked by rodents and lacks cpc's. Hope that covers that.
My question is, the wiring does not follow a strict radial circuit pattern as I understand that to be, a continuous sequence from first light or jb to the last, it is instead split into several radiating sections, a bit like the spokes of a wheel radiating out from the hub, that being the first jb after leaving the cu. What i need to know is, once i've replaced the faulty sections, is this acceptable as a wiring solution, it may not be 'best practice' but as i am doing a re-wire and not an initial installation is it acceptable as far as the regulations apply?
Thanks, Kevin

A radial circuit can take many forms
It does not have to be one to the next to the next and so on
The word radial means to radiate,as in your bicycle spoke example
If you make a junction for them to do so,then it has to be accessable for inspection or it has to be made with permanent joints
If it is a standard jb
A junction box,hidden away in a cupboard or located in an accessable attic would be ok
A junction under flooring may not be considered accessable,its a matter of opinion

Nothing wrong at all with the "spokes of a wheel" method, even though the loop in/ radial method might be a bit more common.

Surely that still is a radial circuit? What difference does it make whether it's one run or has branches off it, I've come across this many times, installed new lighting that way before and seen diagrams showing similar setups. As long as your JBs are accessible go for it

The "spokes of a wheel" is quite possibly the better method as your most distant point will probs have a lower Zs, than when you use loop in, and so help with ADS.

OK Folks, thanks for all those answers, i couldn't see any reason why my circuit would be invalid from an engineering point of view, just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaching any rules and or regs that i might not be aware of, after all i'm only a lowly spark, not some degree'd and fellowed electrical engineer who might know of some arcane electrical phenomenon that could bring me grief... lol, or in other words 'better safe than sorry'!

Reply to Split lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock