Discuss Split Phase supplies in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

a1colly

Hi all

Hopefully somebody will be able to help out a confused idiot!

Visited a farm today which has recently had a supply upgrade from signle phase to split phase, thought I'd have a quick look at what had been done and noticed that they had bought the new supply cable in and added a new cut out to the side of the existing one.

This then gave them the two phases but also two neutral's. I was under the impression that its usually just 3 core's with there being only one neutral.

Is there any reason for this being done in this fasion, would they have combined the two neutrals withn the junction point below the meter and connected a single line in or would they both be connected through the meter?

Would they have any need to have the second neutral conneted at all or would this just be terminated?

I know alot of questions but thanks in advance.

Are there going to be any 460V loads? If not just treat it a 2 supplies. Have the DNO linked the two neutrals? Can you post pictures of the service head?
Sorry but there’s lots of questions you need to answer so we are not guessing.

Supplies are normally single phase 230V or 3 phase 400V.
If split phase or 2 phase voltage would still be 400V between phases and 230V phase to earth.
The above applies if the supplies come from the same transformer of course.
Confusing.

Last edited:
No, if it's split phase or 1 phase 2-wire, voltage between phases will be 460 Volts. I've tested many of these supplies and never seen a second neutral, strange!

Hi all

Thanks for the input. I've been back to the site tonight, a little more information for you.

The split phase was put in for a future PV instalation 16.7KW system across the two phases.
I have removed a few seals and discovered that the live and neutral of the second phase are wired up and are currently feeding a single phase CU. The live and neutral of the first phase are connected to the supply and load of the first phase connections on the meter with an isolater fitted on the neutral connection to break the circuit.

I have called the DNO to have them alter the connections for the PV company in advance and to allow me to complete some alterations to the CU. However, I am unsure as to why there are two neutrals supply's and why they have now linked out through the load and supply of the meter.

Thanks

I live in a house with a split-phase supply and have picked up a lot of tips about this rare animal. It was all about saving copper after the war.

Yes, it is 460V phase-to-phase (Of course that’s 480V+ in reality), since it’s only two phases, 180 degrees opposed.

Sorry, Mick – this is NOT two of the usual three phases from a three-phase transformer at 120 degrees.

Why two neutrals? Maybe the DNO run an additional single-core concentric cable for the additional phase, so it was easier to terminate by using a second single-phase service head?

Is it PME? What’s the resistance between the two ‘separate’ neutrals?

Presumably there’s a new three phase meter, wired as 2-phase 3-wire? Or maybe TWO single phase meters – an old one plus a new one?

It’s an interesting one this …

Maybe needs a photo :)

Photos will post tomorrows, new three phase meter fitted hence when removed the tags found the neutral and postive wired into the first phase.

Am hoping the engineer can give me a little insight into it tomorrow aswell when i get the usual tellig off :)

'Positive' ? :) The PV's not in already is it? And has someone forgotten the inverter? :)

Reply to Split Phase supplies in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock