Discuss split phase supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nobelz66

Hi guys ive just joined this forum so im hopeing for some help please
Ive just been asked to estimate a job basically to supply power to 15 new log cabins each requireing a 32a sp supply ,the existing park is supplied by a 3 wire split phase supply rated at 400A split also there is an existing 100a 3 phase board not fully loaded been run on a 4c 50mm2 swa and a 95mm2 cpc via a 200A panel board at mains position the L1 and L2 is supplied from one side of the split phase the other L3 connected to the other my question is as follows:

1 # do i calculate the new cable run as a 3 phase cable ie 4 c 120mm2 or calculate as a single phase which would make the cable 180mm2 min
2 # do i allow diversity on the log cabbins called niceic they said yes

any help would be very gratefull

First off, It's not a split phase supply, it's simply 2 phases and neutral. (Unless that supply is derived from a single phase 3 wire transformer, which i very much doubt!! lol!!!) Though why the park is being supplied with such a 2 Ph +N arrangement, only the original installer would know!!!

1/ ...Yes, as a multi phase supply.

2/ ...yes.

Why can it not be split phase eng ? Measure between phases if 0V single phase if 480V split phase or am I missing something. The rest I agree with.

From how I read the OP there is a smaller 3Ph available.
I’m totally confused as to why the DNO would make the 2
[SUP]nd[/SUP] supply either 2 or split phase.

I cant see how traditional 3P can be derived from a split phase supply???

Not my field, so possible nonsense alert.
I can't see how you can without the use of 'technology'.
Is a split phase supply derived from a centre tapped winding, like a tool tranny, phases 180[SUP]o[/SUP] apart?

Would be greatfull if someone could explain the split phase setup, compared to the 3 phase that im used to.. thx :)

Not my field, so possible nonsense alert.
I can't see how you can without the use of 'technology'.
Is a split phase supply derived from a centre tapped winding, like a tool tranny, phases 180[SUP]o[/SUP] apart?

Essentially, yes.

The Tx will have a single phase primary with the secondary centre tapped to provide 2 x single phases 180 apart with a shared neutral.

Measured at the building incommer between the two and you would read typically 480V.

Reply to split phase supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock