Discuss Splitting an Sigle RCD board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nrg

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All

I have a customer who would like his part RCD protected board made a full RCD board by adding another RCD unit. When looking at the board there are only 2 neutral bars. He doesn't want me to replace the board as it was only fitted in 2007. Any advice if it is possible? I can think of a way to do it but not sure if it would comply with the regs

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
As above, just swap some of the MCB's for RCBO's (with a bit of shuffling/new busbars). Only need the two neutral bars then.

Last edited:

spark 68

-
Arms
Esteemed
You only need two Neutral bars for a dual RCD CU anyway, you can buy what is known as split load kits, but this depends on make and model of CU, and assumes you have enough space to fit the additional RCD in, (the RCD commonly takes up 2 ways).

RCBO's are easier still to fit

Last edited:
O

oldtimer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep you only need 2 neutral bars plus you may find it cheaper to buy a whole CU then you get a spare RCD and MCBs

N

nrg

Thanks, the board is pretty crammed! How is it done with 2 bars? Don't you need 2 bars for the RCD protected sides? And another for the main neutral?

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Main incommer -> first neutral bar, first neutral bar -> RCD supply side, RCD load side -> second neutral bar. MCB's/RCBO's on first neutral bar, RCD Protected MCB's on second.

Edit: This is for 1 RCD and RCBO's/MCB's NOT for 2 RCD's

Last edited:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
nope. you need 1 neutral bar for each RCD. you only need a 3rd N bar in a hi-integrity board. i.e where you have 2 RCDs and 1 or 2 non-RCD ways

O

Octopus

What make and size of CU is it?

spark 68

-
Arms
Esteemed
Thanks, the board is pretty crammed! How is it done with 2 bars? Don't you need 2 bars for the RCD protected sides? And another for the main neutral?
It is done by a twin Neutral cable that fits the out going side of the mains switch and feeds each seperate RCD.

The live side is similar.

Then a seperate N bar for each out going sides respective RCD

N

nrg

I have room for the RCD next to the main switch, if it's split with 2 RCDs 50 50 I only need 2 neutrals? So the main neutral and RCD 1(out) on one, and RCD2 on the other? Wouldn't that mean rcd1 and 2 are connected?

spark 68

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have room for the RCD next to the main switch, if it's split with 2 RCDs 50 50 I only need 2 neutrals? So the main neutral and RCD 1(out) on one, and RCD2 on the other? Wouldn't that mean rcd1 and 2 are connected?
Only on the incoming side, they are seperate from then on .

N

nrg

What a dumb ass! Thanks spark 68 just 2 neutrals coming from the main switch out to each RCD? Mental block! Thanks again

S

sparks1973

just go and get a BG board from screwfix....50 odd quid...i`v fited a few of these now...and i think their OK....plenty of room in em n all.....

spark 68

-
Arms
Esteemed
You also need two seperate cables from each outgoing side to the respective N bar, the live outgoing side is taken care of by seperate busbars for the MCB's

N

nrg

Yes I got a split kit which will work fine. I can't believe I made it so complicated! I've been pondering this for two days! I need to drink more!

S

sparks1973

thing is...if were having to explain this to someone.....i would be questioning their competance to undertake this work.....

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
just go and get a BG board from screwfix....50 odd quid...i`v fited a few of these now...and i think their OK....plenty of room in em n all.....
and that's a hi-integrity board as well. all for £50 ( b&q ). it will cost you £25-£30 for an RCD and a kit of splitter tails.

N

nrg

I think you mean "if we are" not were! All the boards I fit from scratch are now high integrity! And had a mental block at 5pm
on Friday! Chill 1973

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nrg

Thanks for everyone's input have a good week at work

spark 68

-
Arms
Esteemed
One other point,

You will need the incoming feeds (L and N incoming) for the RCD's at the same side, this is usually the top side, where the busbars fit in the bottom, and your N cables to the N bars (outgoing side) from the same side as the busbars.
If that makes sense.

N

nrg

Yes I know what you mean. Yes that's all covered thanks again

Reply to Splitting an Sigle RCD board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom