Discuss Splitting an Sigle RCD board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nrg

Hi All

I have a customer who would like his part RCD protected board made a full RCD board by adding another RCD unit. When looking at the board there are only 2 neutral bars. He doesn't want me to replace the board as it was only fitted in 2007. Any advice if it is possible? I can think of a way to do it but not sure if it would comply with the regs

As above, just swap some of the MCB's for RCBO's (with a bit of shuffling/new busbars). Only need the two neutral bars then.

Last edited:
You only need two Neutral bars for a dual RCD CU anyway, you can buy what is known as split load kits, but this depends on make and model of CU, and assumes you have enough space to fit the additional RCD in, (the RCD commonly takes up 2 ways).

RCBO's are easier still to fit

Last edited:
Thanks, the board is pretty crammed! How is it done with 2 bars? Don't you need 2 bars for the RCD protected sides? And another for the main neutral?

Main incommer -> first neutral bar, first neutral bar -> RCD supply side, RCD load side -> second neutral bar. MCB's/RCBO's on first neutral bar, RCD Protected MCB's on second.

Edit: This is for 1 RCD and RCBO's/MCB's NOT for 2 RCD's

Last edited:
nope. you need 1 neutral bar for each RCD. you only need a 3rd N bar in a hi-integrity board. i.e where you have 2 RCDs and 1 or 2 non-RCD ways

Thanks, the board is pretty crammed! How is it done with 2 bars? Don't you need 2 bars for the RCD protected sides? And another for the main neutral?

It is done by a twin Neutral cable that fits the out going side of the mains switch and feeds each seperate RCD.

The live side is similar.

Then a seperate N bar for each out going sides respective RCD

I have room for the RCD next to the main switch, if it's split with 2 RCDs 50 50 I only need 2 neutrals? So the main neutral and RCD 1(out) on one, and RCD2 on the other? Wouldn't that mean rcd1 and 2 are connected?

I have room for the RCD next to the main switch, if it's split with 2 RCDs 50 50 I only need 2 neutrals? So the main neutral and RCD 1(out) on one, and RCD2 on the other? Wouldn't that mean rcd1 and 2 are connected?

Only on the incoming side, they are seperate from then on .

What a dumb ---! Thanks spark 68 just 2 neutrals coming from the main switch out to each RCD? Mental block! Thanks again

just go and get a BG board from screwfix....50 odd quid...i`v fited a few of these now...and i think their OK....plenty of room in em n all.....

You also need two seperate cables from each outgoing side to the respective N bar, the live outgoing side is taken care of by seperate busbars for the MCB's

Yes I got a split kit which will work fine. I can't believe I made it so complicated! I've been pondering this for two days! I need to drink more!

just go and get a BG board from screwfix....50 odd quid...i`v fited a few of these now...and i think their OK....plenty of room in em n all.....

and that's a hi-integrity board as well. all for £50 ( b&q ). it will cost you £25-£30 for an RCD and a kit of splitter tails.

I think you mean "if we are" not were! All the boards I fit from scratch are now high integrity! And had a mental block at 5pm
on Friday! Chill 1973

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Splitting an Sigle RCD board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock