Discuss Splitting Cat5 Ethernet connection in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chris Electron

Hello,

I have run some cat5 cable to an outdoor office. This connects from the clients internet router inside their house.

Slight confusion for me is that the client then wants 3 points to connect into in their outdoor office. I have run 3 cables out to RJ45 sockets in the office. These 3 come back to one place in a cupboard.

I want all 3 sockets to be able to use the internet. Do I need a switcher/ router within the office to split the signal? Are you not allowed to connect all the wires together in a junction box?!

Hope I have explained this ok and it makes sense. Any help really appreciated.

Is there a website or book which fills you in on all the do's and don't for cat5 wiring?

Thankyou,

Chris.

All you need is a switch. You've already a router in the house. A minimum of a 4 way, but personally I'd buy one with a bit of spare as they cost peanuts. Simply terminate RJ45 plugs on each of your cables and plug into the switch.

+ 1 for Netgear.

I finished my home network today and if I can find my phone I'll upload a picture of my setup.. I am using a second hand from eBay, Netgear FS116. Think I paid £18 last year for it and is currently working perfectly with my youview and PS3 along with the missus mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry can't attach a photo as there seems to be a problem with the forum, something about session being expired and asking me to re-login.. Did that and still saying same thing!

Hello,

I have run some cat5 cable to an outdoor office. This connects from the clients internet router inside their house.

Hi Chris,

Have you used "external grade" CAt5 UTP? (Or is it in a tube, or the external run under cover?) normal Cat5 will be subject to degradation if exposed to the elements (and UV).

You could consider using an "ethernet over mains" (Powerline) adapter if the power to the office is fed on the same phase as the main building. This will depend upon the distance between the two but it would be better than most wireless links.

Is there a website or book which fills you in on all the do's and don't for cat5 wiring?
- there is a lot of information on the web, like most technical areas, nowadays there are "standards" to adhere to if you want to do a "proper job" but you can get away with a lot if you just "want it to work". Unlike power (where safety is the primary concern) the standards are more about obtaining the optimum performance and reliability. e.g. using cable clips that are tight against the cable will affect the performance.

Like "camerabloke" says an switch in the office will provide the distribution within the office (and allow printer and file sharing for the office users), the link back to the house internet connection will be the main concern.

Here's just one of the many links from a google search for "installing cat5 wiring specifications"

Category 5 / 5E & Cat 6 Cabling Tutorial and FAQ's

Good Luck

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry for delay in responding. Thankyou for your response. I used external cat5 and know that it is all running nicely and as fast as the connection in the house. I think now the client just wants wireless in the office. Didn't need to run the extra cables- oh well.
I will look for a bit of wireless kit to plug into my the wired connection.

Chris.

Reply to Splitting Cat5 Ethernet connection in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock