Discuss Splitting garage feed from ringmain? advise please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Johnlondon

Hi all,

I imagine it's a simple answer......

I'm having fitted a new dual rcd cu to replace old catridge unit and currently, the garage feed is I'm told from a spur off the ring main. I'm told it's MI cablle joined somewhere under floor of the house to the garage.

All functions ok. garage load is at most at any time a striplight and maybe something like circular saw or bench sander.

Do I have to split it when the new cu is fitted (rather avoid that!) or can I leave it as is and perhaps have a small garage cu fitted when the main one is replaced?

Having an electrician to do it but just working out what to expect when the work is done.

Many thanks!

If you dont need extra kw's , leave as is, the new rcd board will protect it anyway... Or could install new 2 way board to look professional but without getting bigger cable to it i wouldnt bother if not needed ..

I doubt very much if a MICC cable has been jointed under the floor, not unless the original electrician left a good deal of spare cable!! So if it is MICC cable spurred off the Ring circuit, it will be from the back-box of a socket...

For the sort of usage you describe in the garage, it's not going to cause a problem as far as upgrading your present CU....

in the words of the prophet. " if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Reply to Splitting garage feed from ringmain? advise please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi fellow sparks, I've just started out on my own so I'm spending a lot of my time trying to find out the correct way of doing things of...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have a question as I can’t get my head around something with solar PV I’m going to be working on a new build in a couple of...
Replies
Views
In a property with two consumer units one for the ring main etc., and the other for the 1970s storage heaters (storage heater CU looks like it’s...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm being tasked with installing an electric shower into a property that was built back in the 1980's. The main consumer unit has only 4 ways...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, I have received conflicting advice about Main Isolator Switches and would appreciate forum member's help to plan a way ahead. Looking to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 155212
D

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock