Discuss "Sporadic" upstairs lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sean Bagel

Hi,

I'm not actually an electrician but was after some advice please, apologies too if my question has already been covered.

All our upstairs lights stopped working last Sunday and have been sporadic ever since. At the time I checked our consumer unit (a Memera 2000), but all the MCBs were fine and were in the on position and hadn't tripped out. Even to the extent that I swapped a pair of them round (two sixes) and they remained ok, so the MCB can be discounted in theory.

Lights upstairs are thus:

1 x ceiling rose in the bathroom to a normal screw type 60W bulb.
1 x light socket in bedroom one to a normal bayonet 40W bulb.
1 x dimmer switch which goes to approx six osram spot lights in master bedroom, wattage unknown.
1 x dimmer switch in back bedroom which goes to a standard bulb.

"Fix" on Sunday was for the wife to tweak the master bedroom dimmer switch and all the lights mysteriously came back on - great. I then checked the ceiling rose in the bathroom (once I'd liberated the cap from the plastered ceiling) and that looked "ok" at first glance.

Anyway, I replaced the dimmer switch in the master bedroom (with a low voltage one as that's all B&Q had) and the problem still remains. Next thing to replace I guess is the ceiling rose in the bathroom and perhaps to check in the loft to see if any of the Osram bulbs have got fouled with something?

We have called a local electrician but as yet have had no reply - fault was there again this morning, this time I left the master bedroom dimmer off and turned the bathroom light on, this eventually came on leading me to think that it's the ceiling rose in the bathroom casuing the fault.....?

Thanks for your help,

Sean:eek:

If its common to the whole of the lighting circuit then its probably down to a loose connection, probably in a ceiling rose, which is interrupting the continuity of the ring. Isolate the power, check it's dead, then check all your connections, roses, switches, everything. Dimmers are notorious for causing problems, so if I were you I'd chuck them out and replace them with on/offs.
Good luck......

Reply to "Sporadic" upstairs lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock