Discuss Spot the electrical crime in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bullet point (iii)

I would post it but that would be illegal and against forum rules.

hmmm, maybe.
if the back box is not accessable.
but you have to admit it is wrong/poor work?

Bullet point (iii)

I would post it but that would be illegal and against forum rules.
Cobblers. a single back box is > 50mm x 50mm, the screws can come into contact with a person. and you can't say that a connection would be difficult.

hmmm, maybe.
if the back box is not accessable.
but you have to admit it is wrong/poor work?
Completely agree, its bad workmanship.
I personally don't agree with that regulation. The only reason I found it was because I've previously come across the same issue in a new build and I had to double check the regulations before telling the customer to complain.

Cobblers. a single back box is > 50mm x 50mm, the screws can come into contact with a person. and you can't say that a connection would be difficult.
The point is that the screws can’t be gripped and can’t make any significant contact with the human body other than a finger tip, the back box can’t be touched at all.
Poor that it wasn’t earthed tho no defence against that, as you said it’s not difficult to do.

I must admit that my version of GN1 is the 17th Edition Amendment No. 3 version rather than the 18th Edition version, however it states:

"However, the IET takes the view that flush metal accessory boxes should be considered to be exposed-conductive-parts and connected to the main earthing terminal by means of a circuit protective conductor."

So regardless of what any Regulation states about screw heads the actual backbox still must be considered to be an exposed-conductive-part, which was my point.

I must admit that my version of GN1 is the 17th Edition Amendment No. 3 version rather than the 18th Edition version, however it states:

"However, the IET takes the view that flush metal accessory boxes should be considered to be exposed-conductive-parts and connected to the main earthing terminal by means of a circuit protective conductor."

So regardless of what any Regulation states about screw heads the actual backbox still must be considered to be an exposed-conductive-part, which was my point.
Says the same thing in the 18th edition gn1 and gn8

This is one of those things that annoys me...
We all agree that you should earth metal back boxes...
Like I said I came across the same issue in a new build and the customer was ready to complain but I stopped them in the end, only because of that regulation I posted earlier. I wanted to be 100% sure I could back up my arguement. The guidance notes are obviously very clear, however that regulation is not.. wish the IET would be a bit more specific sometimes.

Reply to Spot the electrical crime in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock