Discuss Spot the electrical crime in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It it when he "pops a blank plate on that"?

He hasn't twisted the wires and stuck gaffa tape over them properly? :D :eek:
LOL. Unfortunately not correct on this occasion.

Cable twisted on the floor? Cables not clipped on the floor? Cable routed through the backbox? Not really safe isolation because the spur was off and not the MCB? The abortion with the clips and the towel radiator? Come on I need to know !!! :eek:

Cable twisted on the floor? Cables not clipped on the floor? Cable routed through the backbox? Not really safe isolation because the spur was off and not the MCB? The abortion with the clips and the towel radiator? Come on I need to know !!! :eek:
Much more fundamental than any of that!

he said razzle razzle razzle.

back box is not earthed.o_O
edit.
dam, was typing it when risteard put the clue up

The cores are gonna get spiked by the screw on the right hand side?
I must be honest I didn't even notice that the backbox isn't earthed.
There is an argument though that the backbox needn't be earthed if it has one fixed lug although in this case that's never going to happen since the blank plate has no earth connection. Personally I always stick in a fly lead just to be sure.
Well spotted.
[automerge]1568910676[/automerge]
Glad to see i'm not the only sad b*stard that watches these kind of videos on youtube.
I feel it helps you to expand your knowledge and sometimes see a better way of doing something.
have to say though that sometimes like here you see something you wished you hadn't :rolleyes:

I must be honest I didn't even notice that the backbox isn't earthed.
there is an argument though that the backbox needn't be earthed if it has one fixed lug although in this case that's never going to happen since the blank plate has no earth connection.
well spotted.

I can follow that argument when say a socket face is attached, as the socket earth is connected to a metal bush that the screw sits in, thus bonding the screws and back box.

however this is not the case for most light switches and blank plates.
except grid switches.

ha - Now you've said it even I can see that.

So those need earthing regardless of whether they're just being used as a kinda junction box then?
Yeah Dan because if there was a fault in that box and it became live it wouldn't automatically disconnect the supply. Leaving the box live.
Once plastered around in many cases you may "get away with it" because the screw heads aren't large enough to be considered exposed conductive parts but the back box is and by the looks of it probably wont ever be filled around. Its just good practice and proper workmanship to earth the backbox.
[automerge]1568911130[/automerge]
Think along the lines of the absolute fundamentals.

Think about what we no longer term EEBAD...
I was even thinking about supplementary under the sink to be fair.

I can follow that argument when say a socket face is attached, as the socket earth is connected to a metal bush that the screw sits in, thus bonding earthing the screws and back box.

however this is not the case for most light switches and blank plates.
except grid switches.
corrected that bit for you. bonding relates to extraneous parts. sorry to be pedantic. :D :D :D

I hate this.. its rough. I'm pretty sure there is stupid regulation that state as long as the surface area is less than a certain CSA it doesn't require earthing as long as it is RCD protected.
I'm going to try and find it now ?

I hate this.. its rough. I'm pretty sure there is stupid regulation that state as long as the surface area is less than a certain CSA it doesn't require earthing as long as it is RCD protected.
I'm going to try and find it now ?

don't think your going to find it,

best of luck.

Reply to Spot the electrical crime in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock