Discuss Spotlights Measurements in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NathanMorgan

when measuring out spotlights in a kitchen what is your initial measurement from the wall to avoid shadows reflecting beneath cupboard units etc.

would you go 600mm/700mm from the wall to avoid this issue and then begin your spacing calculations?

Thanks.

min 3 ft. from walls. then plan middle row/s.

You'll always get shadows beneath cupboards if you use torch lights in the ceiling.

Install under cupboard lights so that the little lady can see what she is doing with your lobster thermidor.

I like to come out around 700/800 where there are wall units over a worktop. Normally slightly less over a sink where there are no wall units. You need the light over the work areas.

The height of the ceiling and the height of the gap between worktop and bottom of wall cabs are also a consideration. Generally I go around 600-700mm out from wall for 600mm deep tops. Shadows are created on the worktops but adjacent spots either side usually reduce it.

thanks for all of your replies.

Another quick question, say im installing 10 spotlights and the length of the room is 3.5m and width is 2.5m.

I would divide 3.5m by 6 to give equal distances from each spot and divide 2.5m by 3 etc.

so 3.5m divided by 6 = 580mm.

say I need to bring this first spot out to 700mm due to kitchen units/worktops etc, how do I then modify my calculations for the other spots to be equal distances apart and the distances from walls?

Thanks.

Another quick question, say im installing 10 spotlights and the length of the room is 3.5m and width is 2.5m.

I would divide 3.5m by 6 to give equal distances from each spot and divide 2.5m by 3 etc.

say I need to bring this first spot out to 700mm due to kitchen units/worktops etc, how do I then modify my calculations for the other spots to be equal distances apart and the distances from walls?

Thanks.

I normally re calculate from the first spot out at 700mm, to the last spot out at 700mm, using them as the new edge of wall, if that make sense.

another top tip. play this whilst marking out. works every time.

Thanks.
Why divide by 6 when you have 10 lights,am I being a bit thick here.

Reply to Spotlights Measurements in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock