Discuss Spur circuit cutting out then restoring - no RCD trip in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is a new one to me.. a small spur circuit (3 double sockets) on ground floor, several small load items connected - table lamp, assorted AV kit (TV, Amp, DVD). On just these 3 sockets only, the power cuts, sometimes flicking on - off - on again. Other times it'll stay off for 1-3 minutes then restore. The RCD for the ground floor sockets does not trip. What's weird is how power will cut, and after short wait, power is restored without anything being done. What started as intermittent occurrence is now almost continuous (we're no longer using the affected sockets).

I've unplugged every appliance one by one, but problem continues.

Haven't yet checked back of each socket, and that is next move. Before doing so thought I'd check here to see if anyone experienced anything similar.

Step No 3 will be call to expert qualified electrician. I know my limits!

Thanks in advance

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Jester - there's no visible fuse / RCD for the 3 sockets, or clear reason to install one (the sockets not designed for any obviously heavy load). The electrician who wired the house when we did full refurb about 9 years ago is now back in Warsaw, Krakow or wherever, so I can't ask him.

Cheers.

It’s been the regs for some time now that a spur can only have a maximum of 1 double socket on it UNLESS it has a 13A fuse at its origin where it branches off the ring to protect the cable. (The regs say one point, for those that pick on the details)

You may know not to plug anything too heavy into these sockets but any future owner of the house will not.

From what you have said, the wiring has been done wrong in the first place. You may want to get an EICR done on your property to check there’s nothing more serious lurking.

Thanks for this advice. I'd pretty much decided in any case to find a good professional to sort this, so I'll get an EICR done at the same time. Would be good to know if there are other faults in the wiring of the house.

Thanks again.

As littlespark says, you're only supposed to have one socket on a spur (unless it is fused) that's why I asked!
It needs checking.

It could be a radial circuit - making the assumptions redundant!
I’m for a loose connection - if you are doing it yourself OP then isolate the circuit and prove dead with an approved voltage indicator or a lamp, remembering that the fault may catch you out with the lamp use!

Loose connection loosing contact when warming, cooling down and then remaking contact.

I would get this looked at sooner rather than later.

Thanks both. I have a neon current tester so can confirm line is dead before doing anything. The warming-cooling idea sounds that could be what's happening.

Called a couple of local electricians, seems busy time of year.. So might just check the back of sockets for anything visible. If not, then I'll get help.

I'll let you know what the problem is/was.

Cheers

Or a lamp but still don’t trust the lamp!

Tallman,
Please take a tip from experience, the last (very last time ever) I used a neon screwdriver, it did not light but the switch circuit that I tested was running at 110V because of a high resistance contact created by an arsehole who had bodged a junction box using three nails. The lighting switch also had a wrong-side fault and was passing electricity even when in the off position.

I got a belt when I brushed the light fitting.

Since then I only EVER use a meter, except at work when we have been directed to use a non-contact tester because there have been increasing cases where equipment cases have become live from the 600V supply.

Much appreciate the advice, yours not a nice experience. I did actually use a neon screwdriver, but it spooked me to put so much faith in flimsy Chinese tat. So I then used a meter.

Just realised I never posted the fault. It was, as most predicted, a stray wire behind one socket. The one that is a short earth lead between socket and back box, had come disconnected and was touching the live connector. Showed signs of sparking / burn marks on the insulation. Carefully checked the other 2 sockets, and it's been trouble free since.

Thanks to all who posted advice. I'm having the whole house checked (EICR) by a local guy moved here very recently - qualified electrician. Cheers.

Reply to Spur circuit cutting out then restoring - no RCD trip in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net