Discuss Spur from lighting circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Round at a mates house last night and he has asked for a socket to be installed in his loft. He has an electric mouse trap that he wants to put up there.

Now he's asked me to install it for him, which is fine, no probs there but he is under the impression that spur can come off the lighting circuit. (thats what his electrcian where he works told him)

Now correct me if I'm wrong (which you will) didn't think that that could be done as even though he knows what the socket is for, in the furture someone else could plug anything into it.

You can get 5A round pin sockets. Are these OK to use or is this method a big no no as again someone else could fit a stadard socket .

Cheers Rich

Last edited:
no problem with a 5A socket on the lighting circuit. has been used for aerial amps where there is only lighting in the loft.

first it shreds the cheese, then the mouse comes for the cheese, and it shreds the mouse. problem is you can't run the toaster off the lighting circuit so you have to spread you shredded mouse with cheese on bread and toast it in the kitchen.

fit a 13A fuse where????sorry forget that. you are referring to FCU.

Last edited:
first it shreds the cheese, then the mouse comes for the cheese, and it shreds the mouse. problem is you can't run the toaster off the lighting circuit so you have to spread you shredded mouse with cheese on bread and toast it in the kitchen.[/Q

Sounds yummy, should have realized that you would know the answer!
I was picturing something more mundane like a mousebusting sonic pulse .........................or something

you do need loads of beer with it though , to wash it down. the fur can get stuck in your throat. not as bad as squirrel though, the tails are hard to swallow, but you have extra protein with the fleas.

I've seen sockets wired this way loads of times. 5Amp socket would be best, but I'm sure you can get away with a 13amp one provided you label it up "for mouse trap use only" or something like that. Its only the same as getting away with not fitting an RCD to a surface mount socket and labelling it up "Freezer Only"

I think the trap needs an electric metal plate to zap the little buggers once they walk in.

Yes you can spur a socket from the lighting circuit but use a round pin socket, place labels on it and the c/u and make a note in the cert.

hedgehogs are a different matter, but we all have to put up with little pricks at times. ( thinking of building inspectors, plumbers, plasterers, inland revenue, doctors, solicitors, awkward customers, IT geeks, salesmen, bank managers, ............. )

you do need loads of beer with it though , to wash it down. the fur can get stuck in your throat. not as bad as squirrel though, the tails are hard to swallow, but you have extra protein with the fleas.

Can't wait to try one of your local restaurants, how do they catch the Squ ............ No, surely not?
The loads of beer sounds do-able though.

can't wait for the barbeque season. spit roast badger, baked wood pigeon, fresh koi carp from neighbour's pond. mmmmmmm

can't wait for the barbeque season. spit roast badger, baked wood pigeon, fresh koi carp from neighbour's pond. mmmmmmm

Drooling down my shirt now,
Paul has suggested a metal plate a la Newbury but I'm interested in how this mousetrap lures the mice in, does it emit mouse attracting scents, or soft seductive mouse music, can't be climbing in the loft everyday to re-cheese it.

It has a built in sound card and dolby 7.1 suround sound that keeps repeating the words ..........There's cheese in here come on in.
Drooling down my shirt now,
Paul has suggested a metal plate a la Newbury but I'm interested in how this mousetrap lures the mice in, does it emit mouse attracting scents, or soft seductive mouse music, can't be climbing in the loft everyday to re-cheese it.

Spur from lighting circuit? 357301_91e09093-36c2-4cf0-9c23-599dcd16f526_prod_100_thumb.bm - EletriciansForums.netjust when you're having a bad day!

Attachments

• Spur from lighting circuit? ATT00090 - EletriciansForums.net
    ATT00090.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 20
and that didn't work very well.

If you put a 13A socket up there it will get used for a vacuum cleaner - why go to the effort of running a cable upstairs when you can just disobey a little sticker?
Going around putting 5A plugs on all low powered appliances and running them off the lighting circuit is not the way forward.
You could fit a FCU at a push, but it's best just to fit a socket properly, which is essentially what the customer is asking for - ingenious little 'DIY-esque' innovations shouldn't become the norm.

Reply to Spur from lighting circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock