Discuss Spur off a ring to a garage with mutiple sockets and lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thwaitpd

I have had a look at a job to supply a garage (converted to an office) with multiple sockets (3 2gang) for 2 computers a phone and printer and 4 58w tubes. At the moment all of this and a tumble drier is all supplied from a spur off a spur on 2.5mm T&E(I know this is a big no no!!).

The CU is slap bang in the middle of the house and without ripping a floor up or having SWA exposed I cannot see that it is possible to get a feed from it.

My question is if a spur is taken off the main ring into and RCD and 32A MCB supplying the garage with 3 core 6mm SWA (the cable run would only be 9m) into a 2 way CU splitting it to the lighting and socket circuits in the garage. Is this feasible?

Thanks Paul

I have had a look at a job to supply a garage (converted to an office) with multiple sockets (3 2gang) for 2 computers a phone and printer and 4 58w tubes. At the moment all of this and a tumble drier is all supplied from a spur off a spur on 2.5mm T&E(I know this is a big no no!!).

The CU is slap bang in the middle of the house and without ripping a floor up or having SWA exposed I cannot see that it is possible to get a feed from it.

My question is if a spur is taken off the main ring into and RCD and 32A MCB supplying the garage with 3 core 6mm SWA (the cable run would only be 9m) into a 2 way CU splitting it to the lighting and socket circuits in the garage. Is this feasible?

Thanks Paul

This sounds feasible under the conditions that if you are intending on feeding this circuit from a spur -> 32A RCBO you need to bear in mind that being fed via a spur you need to keep the total CSA of the ring ie. you need to uprate the cable beteeen the fused spur and the 2nd CU to be able to carry 32A. but in all honestly i would preferably get a seperate supply for these situations as a measure of good practice and ofcourse you need to bear in mind that depending on the current amount of demand on that ring, you could be overloading that circuit /w the addition of lights ect ect, i would be tempted to put a clampmeter round the connections in the CU for the ring just as a matter of interest before even thinking of starting. (my rented house currently has all sockets in the house fed on 1 ring).

Thanks Paul

Can you not split the tails and run them to a new CU in the garage? Not sure about that extra loading on the RFC.

rip up the floor and run the cable !!

if not take a new 13A FCU off a socket that is part of the ring and not all ready a spur as you described in your post earlier. the garage has obviously been fine on 13A up to now ? unless there adding more load on the circuits now in the office ?

has the current Ring final circuit got RCD protection ?

Reply to Spur off a ring to a garage with mutiple sockets and lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net