Discuss spur off spur legal? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommyaweek

Hi
I want to spur off a spur
The main socket is in bedroom which is spurred to hallway and I would like to spurbthat into cupboard for dishwasher and dryer that is going in there
The spurred socket in hallway is usuallybused for hoover
Also fuse box is in cupboard
Advice?
How would I do it or can I do it
Really appreciate advice

Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics
Electrician's Arms
Not good practise I've was always taught not to spur off a spur but not sure if it breaks any reqs

Strima

Electrician's Arms
BGB, App 15 page 425/426 has some very nice diagrams.

cbw

Solar Guru
If fuse board is in cupboard it would be very easy for an electrician to properly extend the existing ring main.

The appliances you are talking about are also fairly high current items.

Do it once, do it properly

OP
T

tommyaweek

Lol to all comments
Na I called electrician from yellow pages and he said you can but I thought you weren't allowed
I think he just wants extra money

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Lol to all comments
Na I called electrician from yellow pages and he said you can but I thought you weren't allowed
I think he just wants extra money
In that case.... No, you can't spur off a spur unless all spurs are protected by a fused connection unit :)

OP
A

Adam W

No, you're not going to be able to do that. You can spur off a spur if the whole leg is fused, ie to 13A, but have any 2 of the 3 appliances on at the same time and you'll probably blow the fuse, which is bad design.

If the consumer unit is in the cupboard you're much better off getting the socket wired straight from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 99 72.3%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%

Electrician Talk