Discuss Spur socket in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gman67

Hi,

I have installed a spur socket in my bathroom. The cable is inside the wall. It is fairly installed out of reach of chirldren at 1.80 m and outside zone 2, however it is still not complying with BS7671 as it is not 3m from the outer of zone 1. I think it is safe enough for my own use though and because I owe the house, I am happy to have it installed like this.

When it will be time to sell the house, could I just let the buyer know that this spur socket has been added to the circuit by myself and although it is very practical on a daily basis, it is also not complying with the regulations and that if they want it left in use, they would need to sign an agreement and would take all responsabilities in case of an accident OR shall just uninstall the socket, disconnect the cables and replaster like it was before?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What is 'a spur socket'? Do you mean an FCU or a 13A socket that has been spurred off the ringmain? If You mean an FCU then that's fine but if it's a 13A socket then you are breaking the regulations and if the worst was to happen you would be hauled over the coals in court. It's your house so technically no one can stop you doing things like this however if you were to sell the house i would under no circumstances leave it installed. I would ensure the whole assembly is removed (including the cable) and everything was plastered over and made good.

What are you plugging in to it anyway? Surely a shaver socket would be a better idea for most things?

Yes, I mean a 13A socket spurred off the ringmain. Ok, I will remove it and replaster the wall before selling the house.

And to answer your question, I actually use this socket for my electric toothbrush which need to be permanently plugged in on 230V and I sometimes use them to re-charge my hair and bear clippers.

Thanks Dunc

Whilst it is questionable for the socket-outlet to be where it is, if you are happy with it, then it's your choice.
However attempting to get a purchaser to sign a waiver allowing the socket-outlet to be left would IMHO be foolish.
I wouldn't agree to such, and would probablly consider the whole instalation to be suspect, and use such as a bargaining chip.

So there is no chance that your wife or some other adult could plug a hair dryer in and forget about it while you are out , then the children find it - oh and your wife forgot to empty the bath.

Thanks all for your opinions, when it is time to sell the house. I will remove this socket off the circuit and replaster like new.

bathrooms and sockets a no no especially what you have just described!! just dont go reaching up to remove an appliance plug you have plugged in to this socket whilst standing in a patch of water, for the sake of an electric toothbrush i would go and buy another toothbrush and charge it somewhere safer in the house!!.

After listening to your opinions, I have decided to replace this 13 Amp socket with a shaver socket with an integrated safety isolating transformer which would be spurred off the ring main with a 3A FCU (from bedroom socket over the wall). This shaver socket would be located outside of zone 2.

In this case, this installation would be in compliance with BS7176 and far safer, isn' it?

After your opinions, I have decided to replace it with a shaver socket with an integrated safety isolating transformer which would be spurred off the ring main with a 3A FCU which (from bedroom socket). This shaver socket would be located in zone 3.

In this case, this installation would be in compliance with BS7176, isn' it?

"BS7176:1995. Specification for resistance to ignition of upholstered furniture for non-domestic seating "

I'm messing its BS7671.

You're complying with Building Regulations as long as you make sure LABC are notified of the work carried out in a special location.

getting close. zone 3 don't exist any more . shaver socket is the ideal solution.

Good Man. There is no zone three now . Certain criteria have to be satisfied before anyone can tell you if it complies, and work in a bathroom needs to be notified to BC bla bla bla. But it's better than you have now , so that's a plus.

Yes, I mean a 13A socket spurred off the ringmain. Ok, I will remove it and replaster the wall before selling the house.

And to answer your question, I actually use this socket for my electric toothbrush which need to be permanently plugged in on 230V and I sometimes use them to re-charge my hair and bear clippers.

Thanks Dunc

No one upset the man.......otherwise he'll set his bear on you!

Thanks Dunc

BS7671 clearly prohibits the clipping of any north american mammal in zones 0 - 2 and within 500 metres of my house.

Good read this thread, the irony is were supposed to "harmonising" with Europe, but on my last trip to Spain there was a 13a socket outlet right in front of the sink in the bathroom, I couldn't believe my eyes, how safe was that?

Just for the little story, I am actually from france and back in the day we used to all have a 13Amp socket in our bathrooms, I have grew up like this and it was really common practice accross the country. However nowadays, the regulation says that a socket is allowed outside zone 2 if it is RDC 30mA protected with an isolating transformer however with no power limit.

You see sockets in bathrooms all over Europe, mostly backed up by a 30mA RCD device in the DB. I've seen on a few occasions in Germany such sockets protected by 10mA RCD devices. Been common in the US for donkey's years, mostly with RCD outlets. OK, i know what your going to say, they use 115V and those RCD outlets are 6mA, but 115V can kill you just as easily as 230/240V.

In fact, as far as i know, it's only the UK that doesn't permit outlets in bathrooms, RCD protected or not!!! Even the newer Reg's only allow outside of Zone 2... Personally, i can't see a problem installing an outlet in a bathroom protected by a 10mA RCD device!!

Yes exactly as engineer54, I don't see the problem neither having a socket outlet in bathroom isolated by a transformer and protected by a 10mA RCD

Reply to Spur socket in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock