Discuss Spur under bath allowed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Subby

-
Reaction score
I am a plumber who has just come across this (sockets/spurs under bath) is this permitted?
There are 2 fused spurs and a digital shower unit under the bath. I am concerned as the bath seals have gone causing water to drip onto the fused spurs.
Has the electrics been fitted to regulation? If not then what should have been done?

Spur under bath allowed? IMAG0296 - EletriciansForums.net

According to that logic then there is no problem as the electrics are all behind a bath panel. Just looked a bit dodgy tome thanks.

1.is it accessible, could you comfortable get to it to work on the Fused Spurs. ? 2. is the likelihood of a leak likely to happen ? 3. is it protected by an RCD?

for a start I don't like it it looks pony, it certainly wouldn't pass mustard in my house.
If you can't work on it then its not accessible, therefore it will not be complaint with the wiring regulation. every point needs to be accessible for purpose of inspection and repair.

Consideration has to be given to other service,ie Water service in close proximity to electrical service, so when ever installing an item ie Fused spur/ Socket, its require to take this in to consideration,
if there is any evidence of water leaking on to the fused spur, I would say this has fail the consideration to other service.
I personally think it fail any way and would have gone for an IP rated Fused spur if had to fit it under the bath. I would of also of built a wooden frame off the wall so it located under the bath and therefore even less likely to have water drip down the wall on to it

As its a bathroom as well it a special location and should be protected by an RCD.

Either way the customer should get themselves an Electrician out to check it over.
well done Plumber!

Going by the concept, that any water pipe in a house could spring a leak, then all electrical faceplates would need to be suitably IP rated.

My electrical FCU's don't leak electricity, so plumbers (present company accepted) should make sure their baths or kitchen sinks don't leak water! Electrical services are always going to be in close proximity to other services, which includes plumbing & central heating systems.

Whilst the FCU's in this installation doesn't look ideal, there is always a possibility for FCU's/flex outlet plates having to be installed somewhere under a bath, i.e. digital showers or whirlpools baths etc.

That particular area beneath the seal between the bath and wall will tend to leak every few years as the seals rot / fail and will need re sealing. It is one of those jovs that need re doing from time to time. Just as taps start dropping over time and your light bulbs will need changing every so often .

The luminaries are not directly below a place liable to leak water.
And fair play you must keep on top of the cleaning if the seals are still in tact.
Don't know what you are "just saying" but one of the most common jobs I get called to is re sealing bath/shower seals
But thanks for your answer although I wouldn't have electrics like that under my bath . And the point is you are sat in a bath full of water is a bit different from a burst pipe soaking a light fitting elsewhere in the house.

But thanks for your answer although I wouldn't have electrics like that under my bath . And the point is you are sat in a bath full of water is a bit different from a burst pipe soaking a light fitting elsewhere in the house.

So you have no electrical apparatus/apparel underneath your bath? I think most households do. I've got a down stairs toilet and hallway under mine, full of luminaires, sockets etc. In my experience, the first place a water leak finds, is the hole where a light fitting is, not that I've caused many water leaks!

That's if it is known it is there bath panels are not sometimes the easiest to get off without damaging decoration where mastic in

My pet hate - bath panels that are stuck on with mastic/take adhesive etc . And no I do t have electrics under my bath. I have a room under my bathroom but no electrics under my bath . The electric refs seem a bit lax if that is the case. And before you continue doing your own plumbing, I'd get a professional in I know how rough you sparks are

I don't get why anyone would put the FCU's behind the bath (I assume this is the case). If there is no other option but to put the FCU under the bath I would put it in an accessible place just behind the bath panel and in a position that is least likely to get water ingress in the event of a leak.

I do bathroom re-furbs, in my experience there are cowboys in both trades (plumbing & electrics) there are also some decent professional folk who actually take care and consideration.

Granted an FCU behind a bath is not the most suitable location, for the reason Murdoch highlighted. However, it is possible that there may be circumstances that one would need to be located in such a place, or indeed a flex outlet plate may need to be located there to feed appliance, as previously mentioned.

It is for the designer of the installation, to make these judgements to comply with BS7671. Chapter 51 advices of guidance on, compatibility, external influences and accessibility. Reg 528.3 advices of guidance on proximity to non electrical services. I expect there are others.

My bath hasn't leaked and mastic failed (fingers now crossed :eek:) in the years it has been installed, so if needed I would install an electrical wiring system underneath it, if that was the only option. I'm not quite sure how majority of controls for CH systems would be installed, if close proximity was not acceptable.

Just saying.

PS; I can give tips on applying bath sealant :)

Reply to Spur under bath allowed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock