Discuss spurring from a FCU to another FCU? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I was wondering what people thought of spurring from a FCU (from the supply side) which itself is already a spur from the ring?

I know we can only take one spur from a socket outlet on a ring, but that spur is alowed to feed a double socket which could take up to 26A. The above case could only take 26A as well as both FCU's would be fused at a maximum of 13A.

Not something I have any intention of doing but its good to have a chat about these things! :smile5:

Personally I wouldn't, spurring a spur doesn't sit well with me.

Is a double socket rated to take 26A though? Obviously you can plug in two separate items giving the ability of 26A but I was always remember from college days being told that the total load from a double socket should be 13A max.

As Murdoch say's as long as you have a 13amp spur then you can take as many off that as you like

Evening all..

I was wondering what people thought of spurring from a FCU (from the supply side) which itself is already a spur from the ring?

I know we can only take one spur from a socket outlet on a ring, but that spur is alowed to feed a double socket which could take up to 26A. The above case could only take 26A as well as both FCU's would be fused at a maximum of 13A.

Not something I have any intention of doing but its good to have a chat about these things! :smile5:

Ideally not, but in some circumstances I'd consider it. If the loading was small and there was little chance of someone wanting to change one for a double socket, I'd probably go for it. If they were both mounted together on a dual box, it would be obvious what the circuit arrangement was.

As you get more experienced, you start thinking things through more and using your judgement rather than blindly following the 'rules'.

(Tin hat on!)

Thats interesting!

I guess the only problem would be if someone came along and stuck 2gang sockets on them.. But I always check whats going on first and would see that it was a spur from a spur and so wouldn't change them to sockets.

Like you said Handysparks its good to question the regs rather than just follow them blindly, but even then i'm not sure I would go against them, at least not until I've been doing this job for many years and fully understand the implications of doing so.

If anything goes wrong you will have t justify why you deviated from the regs.

The OSG isn't 'The Regs'.

Since you haven't answered my question, shall I assume that you'd never deviate from the regs?

Sure, if something goes wrong because of something I've done... However, perhaps you like to explain how, in this case, what I've suggested is unsafe.

Of course, if someone else comes along and makes changes to something I've installed, then I can't be held responsible for their actions.

The OSG isn't 'The Regs'.

Since you haven't answered my question, shall I assume that you'd never deviate from the regs?

Sure, if something goes wrong because of something I've done... However, perhaps you like to explain how, in this case, what I've suggested is unsafe.

Of course, if someone else comes along and makes changes to something I've installed, then I can't be held responsible for their actions.

Ehhhhh-zack-lee.

one cannot protect future bodgers from themselves.

who is to stop someone doing any number of mind bendingly stupid changes to anything in the future?

like spurring an induction hob off it?

You cannae.

Reply to spurring from a FCU to another FCU? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net