Discuss Spurs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as far as i know the regs dont specifically disallow2 spurs off one socket/ point and from a technial point of view nothing is being compromised, except possibly the connection point due to all the cables in one junction.

from a PIR point of view if there is no evidence of overheating, all the joints are tight and there is no excessive (apparant) strain or tight bends on the cables it does not warrant a particular code. If any of the above is evident then a code 2 is appropriate.

from a best practice point of view I would not do this but would go with one of the other previously mentioned solutions.

think you will find no more spurs than sockets on the ring, does it say you cant put 2 of them off one socket rather than 1 off each
What would you do then.How are you supposed to isolate the boiler and fridge off 1 spur/socket:confused:

What would you do then.How are you supposed to isolate the boiler and fridge off 1 spur/socket:confused:

Have you got the right glasses on tonight???:D:D:D

He is saying that you are not allowed more spurs than there are sockets on a RFC.

So, 10 sockets on a RFC, no more than 10 spurs, but it does not say how they are connected.

What I said was that there is nothing to say you can't take 2 spurs off the ring from 1 socket, I said nothing about spurs for isolating fridges etc, if you go further back on the thread you will see I apologised to Jason as I thought he was considering not putting a switch spur in for the fridge.

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

Kitchen RFC.

Double socket, spur down to single socket for fridge.

Spur also from same double socket to SFCU for boiler.

So, in effect, 4 cables into back of double socket.

Any reason why not?
i cant see any problem with what has been done as long as the terminations look like they are holding up but would probably give it a code 4 to cover my arse as i would be surprised if there is anything in the brb showing this as good practice ;)

i would have thought that the reason why you cant spur two sockets out of one existing socket is because of the loading at the terminals
thats why if you want to put more than one socket/twin socket in a radial off a ring,you have to go from a fused spur to limit it.
:)

Last edited:
grandad if the terminals are tight then they arent carrying the load just holding the connection together

mark
the terminals are part of the conductive circuit and designed and sized to carry a certain load.

think terminal block....you can squeeze 2.5 in a 5amp but you wouldnt use it to join a circuit that could carry 15A....tight or not:)

Spurs {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
you know what us norfolk boys are like

i would say that from what the regs say, a spur per socket, or a fused spur per socket which can have an unlimited number of sockets from it because the fused spur is limiting the sockets to 13Amps.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The two questions I would ask myself would be

Q1 Is it dangerous? A No
Q2 Does it contravine BS7671? A Not to my knowledge

Jason' s origional question was 'why not?'

So despite the problems that may be involved terminating 4 cables in single terminals, and therefore 'not good practice', I do not know of any reason 'why not'.

Reply to Spurs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock