Discuss Square D MCB to RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Square D MCB to RCBO upload_2018-11-8_19-15-35 - EletriciansForums.netSquare D MCB to RCBO upload_2018-11-8_19-16-4 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi All,

I have just been to to view a job on my way home. The customer is asking for a new double socket immediately below the consumer unit (that's convenient!).

It's an old Square D board without an RCD in sight.

I guess it would be very easy to install an RCD socket outlet - spurring from either the kitchen ring or 'main ring' one way or the other.

But I was thinking - probably for the same price - I could swap out the MCB for an RCBO, though it would be second hand, but with the obvious benefit of providing additional protection for an entire socket circuit.

I thought of suggesting a board change - but that seems a bit OTT when a customer on a budget only wants an additional socket.

Question is then - what would you do?

Perhaps its not viable anyway - the MCB's are marked up as Dom, eg Dom32B6 - so am searching the web to see if a replacement RCBO even exists (by Square D/Schneider)...........

Spur from CU, surface trunking, RCD socket ......... only if earthing and bonding in place

As of the 1st Jan 2019 ............... these issues will get far , far more difficult..

Agree with that. Difficult to find anything suitable, RCBO wise.
I like that 'useful' little drawing on the lid, by the way.
If it keeps tripping, keep resetting, maybe?

You can get RCBO's for that board. Like here. I'm not sure if Schneider make new ones for it, not familiar with that range, usually just see the older QOE (eyewatering prices for RCBO's) and the KQE stuff here.

You can get RCBO's for that board. Like here. I'm not sure if Schneider make new ones for it, not familiar with that range, usually just see the older QOE (eyewatering prices for RCBO's) and the KQE stuff here.

Good spot that.

To prove I am doing my homework though - I found this https://www.schneider-electric.com/resources/sites/SCHNEIDER_ELECTRIC/content/live/FAQS/175000/FA175169/en_US/Easy9_Domae conversion.pdf

from Schneider.

which suggests to me that a new easy 9 RCBO will fit straight in?

Kev 1 - we must have typing at the same time!
I think you are right though.

Attachments

• Easy9_Domae conversion.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
Beware the old KQE RCBO and DOM are made opposite to each other....in terms of fitting to the bus bar.
Square D MCB to RCBO F4CFD577-5AFD-4E53-89B7-3EC4BE7BF61D - EletriciansForums.net
It is possible to remove the clip on the KQE type to give a normal screw terminal (we often did it when fitting into old Merlin Gerin boards) however the new Schneider type you can’t remove the clip as they’re glued in place!

Beware the old KQE RCBO and DOM are made opposite to each other....in terms of fitting to the bus bar.
View attachment 45585
It is possible to remove the clip on the KQE type to give a normal screw terminal (we often did it when fitting into old Merlin Gerin boards) however the new Schneider type you can’t remove the clip as they’re glued in place!

Drill the glue out and the screw is just behind it. Did it almost every week at one of my last companys. Didnt effect the RCBO at all.

That consumer unit is not that old Domae was aimed at the domestic market to replace the Quickline II.

That consumer unit is not that old Domae was aimed at the domestic market to replace the Quickline II.

That’s interesting. I have worked on a quick line boards - so these came after...

I think I’ll dead test one of those ring finals, and if all OK, fit an easy9 RCBO and incorporate the new socket into the ring. I’d have a warm glowy feeling if I left a whole circuit RCD protected. I don’t think the materials would cost significantly more anyway.

don't forget that the main switch is arse about face.

that's how it's designed. busbar is cranked behind the N.

Square D MCB to RCBO 2F97D6CF-1457-4384-B24C-A8AAB4BE7AD9 - EletriciansForums.net Square D MCB to RCBO D6341C8C-DFF2-4EAB-85AD-28CB404CB42B - EletriciansForums.net I thought I’d close out my own post properly.

I returned to site and removed the evil MK MCB (which actually seemed to fit OK). It was - as was suggested - an abandoned shower supply.

In its place I put an Easy 9 RCBO - put the kitchen ring on it, as well the FCU and socket the customer wanted (there is going to be a worktop between the two).

The RCBO fits perfectly, though is a tad bulky, and I would not want to try and squeeze one in a congested board.

All good.

Thanks to those who contributed.

Reply to Square D MCB to RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock