Discuss Square head bolt - correct term in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Isn’t a coach a motorised carriage - I’ll go for carriage bolt. What do we win?
@egg67 will be on in a minute with the answer ‘A1’ - ignore him ok?

Apparently they’re all the same so the universe is keeping us from sleep all for this twisted riddle - I’m not falling for it any longer!
Night night carriage bolt users!

It’s a coach bolt,when you join 2 pieces of timber with a dog tooth washer in the middle of the timbers and a square plate washer with nut on the other end the square lug pulls into the timber and prevents the bolt from turning........or so I heard anyway

Coach or carriage bolt,is correct,together with many other local and foreign terminology,some hailing from the transport job,some the building job,and extra terminology we took up,during input from overseas suppliers,such as during and just after WW2.

A coach set screw,is threaded the entire length,a coach bolt,has a plain shank,and is threaded for a percentage of it's end,10-25%.

Timber fixings,may still be described as either bolt or screw,but with a parallel or tapered wood type thread,will have a means of driving,such as a square,hex or internal driving form.

Gutter bolts are of small diameter,and have a slot or cross-slot,usually to hold the bolt,whilst tightening was achieved on the square nut.

I have an extensive library of engineering books,including standardised thread form history,and a series of Buck and Hickman catalogues,in mostly hardback,from the 1800'S to mid 70's.

So,anyway....that's what i spent me time do'in...whilst the rest of you were testing beer and honing chat-up lines...:p

‘Screws ‘normally have threads the full length. So a hex head bolt with full threads is actually a SET SCREW. Normally called ‘hex set’

If it has a shank (non threaded part) it’s a BOLT

That’s how I was told in my first job in a engineering stores.

It may or may not help to solve this riddle!

Hmm.
Coach bolts (which is what I would call them),
Carriage bolts,
Cup head bolts,
Mushroom head bolts.

Tapered bolts that you screw into wood, are called lag bolts, lag screws or coach screws.

Reply to Square head bolt - correct term in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net