Discuss Squeezing the last Drop in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

With fossil fuel energy on its way out, I have been trying to come up with a way to save the energy we now use. Here is what I came up with.

May the rock-throwing begin.
View attachment 102939

comments pro or con welcome
I would like you to put your money and knowledge to this project.

rather than people tell you why it won’t work, you are obviously a person with deep commitment to your ideas and theory’s.

no point spending time here arguing about it, if you believe it will work then let’s see it. Start with a small scale test bed with 1motor and 2 or 3 generators.

if you haven’t got the ability to do it, then post a design with specifications and I will gladly quote to build it for you.

rather than people tell you why it won’t work
If you know why it will not work, then say it. I am a big boy, I can take it and then just move on
, you are obviously a person with deep commitment to your ideas and theory’s.
I know that oil is finite, and we are using it all up. I am just liking for alternatives.
if you haven’t got the ability to do it
I do not
, then post a design with specifications and I will gladly quote to build it for you.
Thanks

If you know why it will not work, then say it. I am a big boy, I can take it and then just move on

I know that oil is finite, and we are using it all up. I am just liking for alternatives.

I do not

Thanks
So basically this project is going no where, you can’t do it and don’t seem interested in employing anyone to do it for you.
do you have any idea how you are going to make this work?

<tryingtobeunreasonablyhelpful>

IGNORING LOSSES
The power rating of the motor - 1hp - is a limit that describes what it is capable of doing without overheating or stalling. How much electrical power it consumes and how much mechanical output it delivers is determined by the external conditions, not by its 1hp rating. It does not use 1hp equivalent of electrical input all the time it is operating. If one generator uses 1/4 hp mechanical input and produces 1/hp electrical equivalent output, then it will demand 1/4hp mechanical output from the motor which will in turn consume 1/4hp equivalent electrical input. Two such generators will demand 1/2hp mechanical total from the motor, which will then consume 1/2hp equivalent electrical input. What the motor consumes from the grid equals what you draw from the generators. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Except.... LOSSES! In a setup like this, you could expect 50-60% throughput efficiency. So the motor will use say 1.25hp equivalent of electrical input to make its 1hp mechanical, and the generators will turn that into perhaps 0.7hp equivalent electrical output. The rest is lost as heat.

</tryingtobeunreasonablyhelpful>
<ordinarylucien>

Motor-generators were a standard and legitimate technology for converting one frequency or voltage to another and 75 years ago were in widespread use. I own probably 10 or more of various sizes up to 100hp. But they were always lossy and people put up with their low efficiency because they could do things that were near impossible to do any other way. Nowadays, electronic conversion is the norm and most motor-generators have been consigned to scrap.

</ordinarylucien>

With fossil fuel energy on its way out, I have been trying to come up with a way to save the energy we now use. Here is what I came up with.

May the rock-throwing begin.
View attachment 102939

comments pro or con welcome
Electric motors are not 100% efficient. Having said that, a 100hp motor puts out 100hp+a small amount of energy not consumed in its operation. It is that small amount that I was trying to capture.

Electric motors are not 100% efficient. Having said that, a 100hp motor puts out 100hp+a small amount of energy not consumed in its operation. It is that small amount that I was trying to capture.
The losses you are trying to capture are lost in the form of heat and sound.
I think the best place to start would be to learn where, how and why these losses occur in the first place.
Once that knowledge is in place the next step is reducing / recovering these losses.

Again, if you think it will work, put your money where your mouth is, make it and test it.

Of which, both sound and heat are largely a result of friction (and a tiny bit of arcing). You could feasibly trap some of the heat by some kind of exchanger and feasibly use some of the air pressure from the noise to drive a diaphragm but all you will ultimately do is create yet more losses downstream in processing that kinetic energy. Newton had this figured out centuries ago - Every action has an EQUAL and opposite reaction. So whilst I applaud you for a drive in efficiency I’d suggest spending your time working on lubricants and bearings rather than this?

Reply to Squeezing the last Drop in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net