Discuss Stairway movement sensor wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ian3422

EF Member
Hello, I want to install movement sensors where i have my light switches on my staircase. At present i have a two way switches at both the top and bottom of the stairs.
Any advice will be very much appreciated

Cadgey123

Electrician's Arms
There are a lot of factors which could affect this install. It’s best to get someone in for a butchers

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
Interesting idea .... but could be quite expensive.

Are you trying to save electricity?

Spoon

Forum Mentor
To add to the above, are you intending replace one of the switches with the sensor or add it to the circuit?

OP
I

Ian3422

EF Member
To add to the above, are you intending replace one of the switches with the sensor or add it to the circuit?
i want to have a sensor at the top and bottom of the stairs. as the stairs go round a corner one sensor wont work.

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
most sensors like this require a neutral to operate. It may be you don't have one at your switch positions.

Boston? forgive my geographical ignorance, but is that a UK Boston, or the Massachusets Boston?

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - as mentioned by @littlespark the motion detectors need to be powered (have L and N). This applies wherever they sit and so some new wiring is likely to be needed. One question will be - will you still need the light switches? (for manual over ride say)

Spoon

Forum Mentor
Could use some ceiling PIRs, then you will have your Neutral.

OP
I

Ian3422

EF Member
Hi - as mentioned by @littlespark the motion detectors need to be powered (have L and N). This applies wherever they sit and so some new wiring is likely to be needed. One question will be - will you still need the light switches? (for manual over ride say)
Hi Wilko, no switches needed.

Electrician Talk