Discuss Star/Delta Line/Phase Voltage/Currents in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BobRivers

Hello,

Really struggling to get my head round the above can anybody please explain (in easy terms if possible) the difference between line and phase voltage?

Star connections with Balanced load relationship to each other IL=IP Delta Ul=UP?

My head is mince...............

Thanks

Line v Phase Voltage.

Assuming you understand the concept of phasing first. It's possible for a cable to carry two voltages that are in phase with each (they peak/trough at the same time). If you had 100V on phase 1 and 50V on phase 2. There would be two phase voltages, one 100V and one 50V (in real world systems these are normally chosen to be the same!). The line voltage in this case would be 150V (the vector addition of the two phase voltages).

Last edited:
The only difference with 3 phase is there are 3 phase voltages that are 120 degrees out of phase with each other. IE the second phase is starting it's cycle (pure sine wave ideally) when the first phase is 1/3 of the way through it's cycle.

Reply to Star/Delta Line/Phase Voltage/Currents in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I came across a question today in my paper asking me to draw out star connection and a delta connection and draw out phase voltages on star from...
Replies
Views
P
Hi guys, I have no idea if this makes any sense, but I’ll give it ago with the hope of getting a better understanding. I know that a capacitor is...
Replies
Views
D
I have a unique problem I have 120 volts to ground coming into panel on each phase and 240 across both. if I run a dedicated line to a outlet plug...
Replies
Views
I think I have a faulty 66kva transformer but have little to no experience with them (delta star I believe) Call out due to reported problems...
Replies
Views
Greetings. I am hoping someone could help me understand the star point in a three phase star configured transformer. It's something that is...
Replies
Views
Knobhead
K

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock