Discuss Start up testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SafetyEICR

Quick intro guys,

Been working for an electrical testing firm for almost 10 years now. I've progressed through to QS with registration to NICEIC.

I would like to start completing my own EICR's in spare time and weekends.

I have a couple of questions with regard the set up and where I stand legally.

Will I need registration to one of the governing bodies?
Do I need liability insurance?
Do I need to declare all works outside my full time work to tax man?
As for reporting and certification, what software do people find are best for form completion? Can hand written certificates still be used?

apologies for glaring obvious questions, I've don't very little works on my own back.

Regards

Quick intro guys,

Been working for an electrical testing firm for almost 10 years now. I've progressed through to QS with registration to NICEIC.

Will I need registration to one of the governing bodies? No
Do I need liability insurance? yes plus other insurances
Do I need to declare all works outside my full time work to tax man?​Of course, unless working for pound notes haha
As for reporting and certification, what software do people find are best for form completion?Icertifi Can hand written certificates still be used? yes

apologies for glaring obvious questions, I've don't very little works on my own back.

Regards

Hope this helps.

Quick intro guys,

Will I need registration to one of the governing bodies? No
Do I need liability insurance? Professional Indemnity & Public Liability
Do I need to declare all works outside my full time work to tax man? Unless you are completely stupid YES
As for reporting and certification, what software do people find are best for form completion? Can hand written certificates still be used? Hand written can be used but look pants

Regards

Plus:

Notify your employer or you could get sacked for mis conduct
Notify your car insurer of business use or you could get a claim rejected

AND

What if you want to offer to do remedial work? If domestic you may need scheme membership etc etc

Poor question in many parts. Perhaps a windup unless you really think you don't need insurance or need to tell the tax man about it?

If not a windup one thing I'd be looking into is my employment contract, may find you can't do this kind of work for x amount of years as you'd be a direct rival to your current employer.

Just to clarify some responses about Club Membership not being required to do this kind of work, the correct answer is really "No (legally), but your clients may require it".

Reply to Start up testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net