Discuss Starter motor not cranking in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rb6478

DIY
Reaction score
Renault clio mk2 not cranking over. Battery reading good voltage. Changed starter motor for new one but same issue. Bench tested old starter and working fine. Noted that when I place jumer cable on negative battery terminal and then to engine to ground it starts not problem. I've taken off the negative battery cable and wire brushed both ends to ensure good contact but still no resolve. I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. My simple mind says it must be a grounding issue? Any idea folks?

do an end to end continuity test on the negative battery cable. just because you've got nice shiny ends, it doesn't mean the cables not broken or rusted apart / corroded on the inside.

Had a similar problem on my old VW Camper. Ended up renewing the old battery leads, the earth strap between the chassis and gearbox and it was good as new.

do an end to end continuity test on the negative battery cable. just because you've got nice shiny ends, it doesn't mean the cables not broken or rusted apart / corroded on the inside.

Had a similar problem on my old VW Camper. Ended up renewing the old battery leads, the earth strap between the chassis and gearbox and it was good as new.
Hey thanks for info. Did an end to end continuity test on negative cable and all good. Should I try and locate any other earth straps?

If I ran another ground from negative terminal to chassis or engine do you think this would work. Effectively what I've done with the jumper cable is it not but a more permanent fix?

Does the Negative cable go battery to body or battery to engine / gearbox?
If it's just to the body you need to find the body to engine / gearbox earth lead.

Hey thanks for info. Did an end to end continuity test on negative cable and all good. Should I try and locate any other earth straps?

If I ran another ground from negative terminal to chassis or engine do you think this would work. Effectively what I've done with the jumper cable is it not but a more permanent fix?

No worries you're welcome.

As snowhead has said above, check for other cables first, may need cleaning up, may need replacing.

Does the Negative cable go battery to body or battery to engine / gearbox?
If it's just to the body you need to find the body to engine / gearbox earth lead.
Yeah it goes battery straight to chassis. Can I just run another cable from gearbox to battery to save hunting for the original gearbox to battery? Thanks for your help

Reply to Starter motor not cranking in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net