Discuss Starting as Domestic Electrician - Steps Involved in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Super Dragpack

Hi guys,

After a 10 year break from being on the tools, and a 5 year break from the construction industry, it's time for me to make my move back. My initial trade was an electrician, so hence why I am returning to this first trade and not pursuing general building or plumbing work anymore. I have ONLY EVER accepted domestic work, and this will continue. I have no interest in non-domestic work.

Anyway, things have changed a lot since I started in this trade, so for clarity I thought I would document the logical steps needed to make a start as a domestic electrician, and I was hoping for any corrections or suggestions from you guys.

ALL THESE STEPS ASSUME EXPERIENCE AS AN ELECTRICIAN IN THE UK (i.e. full practical knowledge)
THEY ARE THE MINIMUM PERMITTED AND NOT A SUGGESTION - AS EXPERIENCE/SKILLS VARIES

1/ Obtain 17th Edition certificate (C&G 2382) (get latest books obviously)
2/ Obtain suitable and calibrated (certified) test equipment
NOTE: At this point you can happily perform your own work (and issue your own minor works forms), but will require Building Control to check and sign off almost all of your domestic work under Part P which costs a small furtune. Also best of luck trying to find domestic work without affiliate credentials!
3/ Acquire suitable PLI
4/ Contact your chosen affiliate - NIC, ELECSA, Corgi etc etc etc - and pay them their fee (cheapest I've found is £370+vat)
5/ Complete 2 jobs - (suggested to be 1 major & 1 consumer unit replacement)
6/ Arrange inspector to come and view work, question you and test your knowledge
7/ If all well, you recieve your credentials and can now "sign off" and "Part P approve" your own domestic work.
8/ Steps 2 to 7 is renewed every year

Last edited by a moderator:
just do it anyway, not like anyone chases after you apart from domnic littlewood... and thats only if you scam them,,, but maybe you need it in england

What about C&G 2391?...or the new one what ever that's called..

2394 &2395 btw.

You will need to check the schemes minimum quals they each allow. I doubt that just the 17th would get you in, Normally you need a level 3 qual like the 2391.

You will also need PLI and all the up to date books.

You are true about the books, but that would surely be required to pass the C&G2382. I'll adjust the first post accordingly.

When I called NIC, the C&G2382 was the only formal requirement they listed, hence why I went back to college last year and completed mine. My certificate shows this as a Level 3 if that helps.

I would assume that as the C&G2382 covers the requirements of an installation and basic testing and reporting, the other certificates are for testing etc, therefore it is not a requirement of Part P as long as you can test your own install and show appropriate skills to the inspector during your test session.

Yes, I too was alarmed that you only need the basic C&G2382, but as you're inspected and tested by your chosen affiliate anyway, whatever exam passes you have are of little further importance to them.

Remember, some people can pass an exam perfectly, but in the real world don't have a clue (ask my ex-staff), but someone with real skills will do excellent work even if they may not be so academic.

2394 &2395 btw.

You will need to check the schemes minimum quals they each allow. I doubt that just the 17th would get you in, Normally you need a level 3 qual like the 2391.

You will also need PLI and all the up to date books.

Explain how a 17 day wizz kid can join a scheme virtually as he walks out of the training centre doors then?? lol!!!

just do it anyway, not like anyone chases after you apart from domnic littlewood... and thats only if you scam them,,, but maybe you need it in england

Years ago when I first started out you could just do that. Although I worked honestly and with quality in mind, there were many who didn't. I gained an excellent reputation and therefore my business grew well (too fast, hence the problems).

Due to the dangerous work I have seen from others I personally welcome the recent changes to protect the industry and customers BUT it isn't as clear as it should be.

My steps above are based on what I have been told by the NIC and others but I wish to make sure I "cross every I and dot every T" or whatever it is.

I have been told by many sources that there is no formal requirement (currently) for any other than C&G 2382 and Part P approval for domestic work. BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE BEFORE TEMPTING FATE!

17th and public liability will get you in, changes are coming next year though so they say.

Cheers for the confirmation. There does seem to be an aweful amount of misunderstanding on this subject.

When I first started out there were many who felt you needed 'this-or-that' to trade as an electrician. Many went to college, but sadly it was the college telling them all this. They obviously wanted more students.

It should be simpler now, but sadly no. There seems to be far too much misunderstanding still.

I'm on the look out for suitable test equipment and then I'll make contact with my chosen affiliate (likely ECA at the moment). I'm currently on the look out for suitable work for the inspection visit.

Reply to Starting as Domestic Electrician - Steps Involved in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock