Discuss Starting up doing PIR's in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkattack

Im currently looking into doing domestic PIR's possibly on a part-time as i currently have a full time job. Im looking for some advise on starting up, what are the requirements for me to do this i have never started up on my own before so require any help i can get. I do lots of inspection and testing in my current role but thats mostly industrial equipment but i have done test and inspection on domestic circuits also. I have 2391 and 17th edition wiring regs, but im not registered. Do i require some sort of insurance, what sort of rates do people charge for say a typical 3 bedroom semi? Any help or tips anyone could give i would be grateful for.

Martyn

insurance wise. public liability £2m. professional indemnity £250,000.

a small dom. PIR should be 1/2 day + so a ball park figure £150 ish.

If you are doing inspections for insurance companies they often want you to be registered with a PIR scheme, but I would not recommend it if you have 2391 as you are better qualified than "schemed". But it may limit your options a bit.

If you are then doing remedial work afterwards you may need Part P registration, depending on the work required.

Remember that domestics that have never had a PIR are often not labelled or incorrectly labelled and so you need to allow time and money for identifying circuits and point of utilisation, if this is the case. I have spent over half a day just trying to identify items and find odd FCUs in cupboards, etc.

Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't planning to register but if comes to it i may have to!
I dont have much actual testing experience on the domestic side so i might look into gaining some before trying to establish myself.

on the domestic side, there is far more chance of installations having been bodged, shared neutrals, etc. as richard burns says, a lot of time can be wasted sussing out what's what.

Great tip thanks Archy, i am currently planning to do a PIR on my parents house to use as a learning aid as it has had no formal inspection since it was built nearly 40 years ago! It would be nice if i could use my own home, if i had one that is! Never mind im only 24 isnt average age of a first time buyer 38 i heard! Never mind thats another story, hopefully my industrial experience will give me a head start and dont get me started on bodge jobs thats all i seem to do is put other peoples crap work right!

When pricing up inspections, I always use a day rate, and allow at least a day even on quite simple installations.
If I discover defects, I allways attempt to determine the cause.
Customers sometimes balk at my day rate price, but I find explaining that circuit and fault tracing can take up considerable time, and as I can't guarantee how long an inspection will take, I can't book any other work for the rest of the day.
As Archy points out, it might be an idea to start using the new EICR rather than PIR forms now.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you guys have said its probably wise to allow at least half to a full day on one inspection as you dont know what you are going to come across. I've printed myself a copy of that ESC PIR document to read and i have also found one for electrical installation condition reporting which is handy thanks.
Is it an idea to draw up some sort of contract with regards to things like making safe if I find something dangerous or not being required to trace any faults found or complete remedial work as part of the inspection?

you need to make your client/s aware that the price you quote is for inspection and test only, and that any remedial work required will be subject to additional cost (you can either quote a price once you know what needs doing, or do it on an hourly rate basis)

Reply to Starting up doing PIR's in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net