Discuss Static Caravan extra socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've been asked to add a socket to a brand new static caravan. I went and had a look last night, looks simple enough, its about 3m from an FCU fed via the socket radial circuit.

It's about 15 years since i've done anything on a static - that was an additional thermostat.

I'm guessing some lad's on here will do work to these pretty often. Couple of questions:

1) I seem to remember flex is the cable of choice on statics?
2) Are they normally wired from underneath, so that i'll have access down the cladding in the wall, underneath to new socket location, then back up to new socket behind internal cladding?

It was tipping it down last night and I was running late for pricing the next job so never went under to check.

Thanks in advance, Rory

I thought flex was only a requirement on touring caravans, but not certain.

statics are usually T&E, tourers are in flex. (due to vibration when moving at high speed)

As long as you can get under the unit, shouldn't be a problem but there will be a lot of insulation hanging under there.
Can your new socket go back to back with an existing one?

statics are usually T&E, tourers are in flex. (due to vibration when moving at high speed)

As long as you can get under the unit, shouldn't be a problem but there will be a lot of insulation hanging under there.
Can your new socket go back to back with an existing one?
Hey thanks for that. Appreciate the help. Looks like there should be room underneath. I'll just use a T&E in some plastic conduit for extra rodent protection. Unfortunately where the want it is on an outside wall so back to back not an option.

Hey thanks for that. Appreciate the help. Looks like there should be room underneath. I'll just use a T&E in some plastic conduit for extra rodent protection. Unfortunately where the want it is on an outside wall so back to back not an option.
Outside walls will be packed with solid insulation. No cavity. Would need to be surface run.

Reply to Static Caravan extra socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net