Discuss Static shock call out in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a call out today
Client said they are getting static shocks from a laminate floor :eek:
Between the floor and alloy frame forming the offices
Found that the floor had been laid on top of old carpet with nylon in it
Client so peeved with flooring contractor
Advised to lift flooring and relay with correct underlay
Then carry out a anti static clean on all carpets in the offices as well :)
Davethesparks

I used to do electrical maintainace for a large card retailer , they had a static problem with carpets and cloths , it was in the days when the south park dolls were out ,when any one went to pick up up the doll there was a crack and the doll blurted out who killed kenny ,well funny cured it with anti static spray

:) i have seen worse thing on the ceilings :) i get one every time i go in asda, should fasten one of those car static things to my bum and extend it

Bit dodgy that every time you fart it may blow car static thingy up which in turn could cause a spark and ignite ..... just lowered the tone again :D

I had one like a big care home new build just completed 60 rooms all with these posh mirror lights with the 40 watt circular flourescent and every one was flickering guys that installed them didnt know why ,i got call to see if i could spot the problem found it they were all wire with the L and N reversed so basically the tube had apermernant live feed and not realy the sparks fault the stickers labling the L and N were the wrong way round had to change the lot

I got called to fault in a hotel, where in this particular hotel room in the bathroom area a person had reported getting small electric shocks - tingles from the fancy wall mounted shaving mirror. The hotel put it down to and described it as "static" but called us as we where in the area checking another hotel in their chain.Hey why not i thought, it made for a nice skive and the receptionist was particularly cute at this hotel;).

After chating to Mrs Receptionist of the year 2008 for a while.I Checked over the mirror and couldn’t believe my eyes. I found the light fitting inside the mirror was rated and supplied with 240vAC and not earthed. This particular fitting had started to break down and was leaking voltage through its outer-chromed casing. Which made the mirror live.

The only thing I could put it down to why someone had not been seriously electrocuted was the bathroom was fitted out completely in marble and this acted as an insulator somehow when it was being directly touched ,of course until the room got full of steam or u touch the tap or lent on the towel rail while adjusting the mirror.:eek:

What amazed me that 10 bathrooms in this hotel had just undergone a refurb 12 months before-hand and an approved company had fitted all these mirrors with no earth connected and 240vac spec in this Zone And they where clearly not class 2 fittings.

Talk about getting away with murder, well almost.:confused:

I won’t even go into the dimmer switches that got fitted to the bar area ,Let just say “miniature Calor gas heaters” springs to mind or the picturesque smoking tree lights in the court yard.Now that was class...

I Don’t know how people get away with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Static shock call out in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net