Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Static shock from light switches even with power off?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coxyboy

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I was called out to a job today and found something I have never come across before....
when I got to the property the tenant explained what was happening - she was getting what she called a "shock" when ever she turned the lights on upstairs in the two bedrooms and the landing. So I tested to see if there was any voltage at each switch and there wasn't. But sure thing as soon as I touched the switch I got a shock. I would say it was more of a big static shock than a normal voltage shock. So I had a little play around to investigate.

ie removing each switch reterminating and making sure the earths were connected. But still no joy. I turned off the main switch so there was no power to any circuit but I was still getting the static from each switch in both bedrooms and on the landing.

Has any one ever come across this problem before? If so what did you do to solve the problem??

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
 
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
Saw this in a house that had a cheap nylon type carpet and once this was changed no more static shocks.
 
M

Mork

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Do a Zs test at the affected switches, you may be floating.
 

TaffyDuck

-
Arms
Ditto.

Cheapo carpets. Disconnect the cpc and you`ll see it wont happen, assuming there is no path to earth elsewhere. Changing the switches to plastic ones or if they already are, putting plastic screw covers over the set pins will solve it. Cheaper than new carpets. May still happen on ovens etc though.
 

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
If you add underfloor heating to the mix, those pesky metal lights switches become lethal from static. Static likes dry atmosphere and its coming from the carpets. They might find its better in summer when the humidity rises.
 
O

oldtimer

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Yep change switches to the ones that have plastic covers on the screw because the tenant is earthing themselves another thing is tell the customer to run the back of her hand on the wall or staircase either that ditch the cheap nylon carpet
 
L

lushers

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
I had this very same thing today but the only difference was each it was various light fittings on the circuit; it would either be on the fixing screws or the terminals themselves, either through my hand or i would get a small spark through my voltage testers. The other difference was that unlike nylon carpets it was mostly laminate flooring. Help......
 

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I had this very same thing today but the only difference was each it was various light fittings on the circuit; it would either be on the fixing screws or the terminals themselves, either through my hand or i would get a small spark through my voltage testers. The other difference was that unlike nylon carpets it was mostly laminate flooring. Help......
Can you give a better explanation? What terminals and what voltage testers?
 
L

lushers

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #14
I was just using my combi check testers to check for voltage, it would happen at whichever terminal I put my first probe on. having looked at other threads similar to this I think it might be a build up of static from the laminate flooring.
 

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'm not buying the 'static from laminate flooring' theory to be honest. I'd test to a wander lead connected to the MET. Maybe do a Ze test first as well.
 
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Reply to Static shock from light switches even with power off?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below
Advertisement - Content continues below

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Advertisement - Content continues below
Top Bottom