Discuss Static shock from light switches even with power off?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

coxyboy

I was called out to a job today and found something I have never come across before....
when I got to the property the tenant explained what was happening - she was getting what she called a "shock" when ever she turned the lights on upstairs in the two bedrooms and the landing. So I tested to see if there was any voltage at each switch and there wasn't. But sure thing as soon as I touched the switch I got a shock. I would say it was more of a big static shock than a normal voltage shock. So I had a little play around to investigate.

ie removing each switch reterminating and making sure the earths were connected. But still no joy. I turned off the main switch so there was no power to any circuit but I was still getting the static from each switch in both bedrooms and on the landing.

Has any one ever come across this problem before? If so what did you do to solve the problem??

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Saw this in a house that had a cheap nylon type carpet and once this was changed no more static shocks.

Ditto.

Cheapo carpets. Disconnect the cpc and you`ll see it wont happen, assuming there is no path to earth elsewhere. Changing the switches to plastic ones or if they already are, putting plastic screw covers over the set pins will solve it. Cheaper than new carpets. May still happen on ovens etc though.

If you add underfloor heating to the mix, those pesky metal lights switches become lethal from static. Static likes dry atmosphere and its coming from the carpets. They might find its better in summer when the humidity rises.

Yep change switches to the ones that have plastic covers on the screw because the tenant is earthing themselves another thing is tell the customer to run the back of her hand on the wall or staircase either that ditch the cheap nylon carpet

I had this very same thing today but the only difference was each it was various light fittings on the circuit; it would either be on the fixing screws or the terminals themselves, either through my hand or i would get a small spark through my voltage testers. The other difference was that unlike nylon carpets it was mostly laminate flooring. Help......

I had this very same thing today but the only difference was each it was various light fittings on the circuit; it would either be on the fixing screws or the terminals themselves, either through my hand or i would get a small spark through my voltage testers. The other difference was that unlike nylon carpets it was mostly laminate flooring. Help......

Can you give a better explanation? What terminals and what voltage testers?

I was just using my combi check testers to check for voltage, it would happen at whichever terminal I put my first probe on. having looked at other threads similar to this I think it might be a build up of static from the laminate flooring.

I'm not buying the 'static from laminate flooring' theory to be honest. I'd test to a wander lead connected to the MET. Maybe do a Ze test first as well.

Did a ze test and it was more than adequate, I've just finished rewiring the place, it was only when installing a fitting that we noticed/kept getting shocks. there are a couple of those 28w 2d fittings that I've installed, could it be anything todo with the control ballasts within these? will do a wandering lead test tomorrow, thanks for the advice

get the carpet sprayed to eliminate the static.

Had a lad working for me many years ago that could walk up and down a few times then point his finger near the switch and get a spark to jump across to it told one customer the problem was down to the cheap (£4k) carpet he had bought didn't go down well

Static can build-up in your clothing, it's not all to do with carpets and other floor coverings. Static can be a real bugger to get rid of at times too!!

Reply to Static shock from light switches even with power off?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock