Discuss Steel Container in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A client has recently had a 10ft x 6ft Steel Cabin delivered. It will be a permanent addition for a block of flats outside for storing things in for contractors. They want a light inside and a floodlight outside.
Currently next to it about 5 yards away is a bin store which has a light in it from the main building which is on a 6A supply. The earthing System is PME. I can’t run a dedicated supply from the main building due to the amount of paths and obstacles now in the way.
Not keen to continue the PME into the steel container as it’s permanent, I’d rather TT. I have thought about coming from the Bin store supply into a 3A FCU, TTing the outgoing supply here and going into the cabin with this. Any thoughts?

Completing the job tomorrow. Nice and easy.
just a quick one, the steel container isn’t extraneous, I’ve only used class 2 light fittings inside. Does the steel container need a fly lead from the fused spur or would you just leave it?

I’m not sure that RCD spurs are compliant as they are not included in bs7671 and bs 7288 state that they only provide supplementary protection and that additional protection is assumed upstream.

How can a steel box forming the enclosure of the spur be an extraneous conductive part by definition,when it forms part of the electrical installation? Is it not an exposed conductive part rather than an extraneous conductive part ?

Of course it is extraneous ?. I’ll take a bond from the earths at the spur to the steel itself then ☺.
How can a steel box forming the enclosure of the spur be an extraneous conductive part by definition,when it forms part of the electrical installation? Is it not an exposed conductive part rather than an extraneous conductive part ?
wrong... by that you would have to say that any room with electrical equipment fixed to the walls, is a part of the installation.

wrong... by that you would have to say that any room with electrical equipment fixed to the walls, is a part of the installation.
So you are saying that a metal enclosure on a metal clad socket is not an exposed conductive part??
Why would a wall be part of the electrical installation?

Of course it’s part of the electrical installation, it forms the enclosure of the spur and is exposed ie class 1 an exposed conductive part.
afraid we have to disagree on this one. anyway Zebedee says "time for bed", :p :p

Of course it’s part of the electrical installation, it forms the enclosure of the spur and is exposed ie class 1 an exposed conductive part.
The spur is acually going on the bin store wall for accessibility issues. Only thing inside the cabin is a class 2 microwave fitting and a class 2 floodlight.
[automerge]1600801917[/automerge]
I installed the spur and rod a while ago. The SWA put of the side is the outgoing waiting to serve the cabin.

Attachments

• Steel Container 50B956E3-46DC-465A-B93D-3CB4D06348DB - EletriciansForums.net
    50B956E3-46DC-465A-B93D-3CB4D06348DB.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 37
If it is:
  • Conductive (clearly it is!)
  • Liable to introduce a potential (as it is in contact with the true Earth, it can do so)
  • Not part of the electrical system (which without any bonding it is)
It would be 'extraneous'.

The key point is the contact to the outside world (i.e. true Earth). Now in a TT setup one would like to imagine that the earth rod and the box's contact are both at the same potential, but an external fault could introduce a worrying touch potential between the two.
[automerge]1600802674[/automerge]
I installed the spur and rod a while ago. The SWA put of the side is the outgoing waiting to serve the cabin.
Nice to see the detailed label!

Reply to Steel Container in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock