Discuss Steel Container in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I can’t see why the cabin requires bonding at all.
Because it is no different from a metal service pipe.

OK, the size and shape are not quite the same, but it is a metal thing in contact with the ground outside. Just ask any topologist (after they stop wondering if the doughnut and tea cup are any different).

Because it is no different from a metal service pipe.

OK, the size and shape are not quite the same, but it is a metal thing in contact with the ground outside. Just ask any topologist (after they stop wondering if the doughnut and tea cup are any different).
If it had it’s foundations buried in good contact with true earth , then yes id agree.
A metallic service pipe is buried directly into the ground and enters an electrical installation.
There is also no accessible exposed conductive parts in the cabin.

Last edited:
If it had it’s foundations buried in good contact with true earth , then yes id agree.
I think that if, on a wet day, it is <= 20k ohm to earth then it should be considered in contact (extraneous) as then you could get a >= 10mA shock. Now 10mA alone is not likely fatal, but it is going to lead to invoulatery action that could cause injury.

There is also no accessible exposed conductive parts in the cabin.
Perhaps for now. But given the small cost & effort to bond them and make absolutely sure I would just do that.

How is the cabin any diferent to a metal hand rail on a pateo? If you put a light on that would you TT the railing? How about a picture of the cabin sitting on ground and. Test from MET to the cabin.

Well today is a very wet day and I’m doing the cabin today so I will IR test between the metal work and container and let you know the results. I will bond it anyway as it’s that easy to do and knowing the numptys round here someone will cock something up adding something in.

Cabin went closer than expected. Tested at 26kOhms in the damp so probably extraneous in heavy rain ?. Bonded it anyway, only took 10 minutes
[automerge]1600863908[/automerge]
Probably get slammed here for not putting the bond in a conduit box ?

Attachments

• Steel Container D018F6F3-9307-4D7D-9BD0-6A51DAB41990 - EletriciansForums.net
    D018F6F3-9307-4D7D-9BD0-6A51DAB41990.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I followed this video, and installed a separate 10mm cpc from the metal shed that was having power installed. The SWA incomer goes to an RCD fcu then to a couple of sockets, as there is no RCD at the CU. The 10mm goes back to the main earth terminal beside the board. The SWA is 3 core with one core as cpc, and the armour is bonded both ends because that was easy to do.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvENsVUhDUs

I followed this video, and installed a separate 10mm cpc from the metal shed that was having power installed. The SWA incomer goes to an RCD fcu then to a couple of sockets, as there is no RCD at the CU. The 10mm goes back to the main earth terminal beside the board. The SWA is 3 core with one core as cpc, and the armour is bonded both ends because that was easy to do.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvENsVUhDUs
Interesting. I however wouldn’t have a chance to get a cable back to the MET, hence why I tapped off the bin store light.
In an ideal world I would have brought over a dedicated circuit with a small CU inside the cabin itself.

I should add that the installation to the metal shed was easy enough for the SWA, but the 10mm had to take a toruous route through the basement of the house, which took quite a long time to complete. We ran a cat5 in at the same time...welll, you never know when you might need one!
I must also add that I received considerable guidance on the whole job from an esteemed member of this forum, for which I am most grateful.
I'm not sure the cpc of a lighting circuit would be enough?

I should add that the installation to the metal shed was easy enough for the SWA, but the 10mm had to take a toruous route through the basement of the house, which took quite a long time to complete. We ran a cat5 in at the same time...welll, you never know when you might need one!
I must also add that I received considerable guidance on the whole job from an esteemed member of this forum, for which I am most grateful.
I'm not sure the cpc of a lighting circuit would be enough?
There is a Rod in the ground for mine mate and a TT. So 6mm to the spur from the rod and a 10mm from the rod to the container Bonding point. If the lads on here didn’t mention it I probably would have just supplementary bonded it with a 2.5mm off the whisky box where the light flexes are terminated. That probably still would have been ok with a reading of 25kOhms but not worth it when there is only a few kOhns to play with.

Reply to Steel Container in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock