Discuss steel trunking and earthing straps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

if the trunking is properly joined, there's no need for them, IMO.

Because the couplers are generally only a plate each side and reduce the csa at each joint, so copper links maintain it.

That is how I have always understood the argument, although there is a bit of an obvious flaw with it IMO.

I also think it may be a leftover idea from when enamelled trunking was in use and you had to clean off the enamel to fit the copper link.

Personally I think they are a waste of time and money. They’re not going to add to a correctly installed coupler.

I’d quite happily put a Ductor on any I installed.
We never used galvanised, always powder coated. I never had it cause any problems even though galvanised in theory should be a better conductor.

You can take your powder coat and stick it! Bleedin stuff flakes and falls off at the sight of a hacksaw.

Although I guess you probably got a better quality of materials than I have to deal with?

That’s what happens when you buy cheap crap.

The simple reason for using powder coated was to match in with the various panels. It looks bloody awful when you have galvanised running between panels all of the same colour.

It may have been a quarry, we took some pride in our work.

The simple reason for using powder coated was to match in with the various panels. It looks bloody awful when you have galvanised running between panels all of the same colour.

galv looks lovely a couple years in after it ages lol

See my trunking thread elsewhere, I didn't buy it I just had to work with it.

I can appreciate the colour matching idea, doing theatre installs almost everything goes Matt black, or at least it does if I get anywhere near it!

I think it can look quite nice having Matt black and galvanised as a colour combination aswell though.

You’ve been in the theatre to long, you’re all arty farty.

Powder coated trunking up to 6” square and black japanned conduit to 32mm along with just about every fitting you could think of were stores stock. So I suppose I was spoilt.

The biggest pain was filling in a requisition for every mortal thing.
Say you wanted a 20mm 02 SWA gland, locknut, banjo and shroud. That’s four requisitions to make out.
Works code
Plant code
Item code
Stores location
Bin No.
**Quantity required**
Authorisation code
Date
Signature

**You may understand why I would order ten times what I needed.**

There's nothing arty about me, but after some of the on-site catering I'll admit to the other bit
There was a damn good reason I spent the afternoon in the air in a picker the other week after a particularly fine curry lunch in catering. Jesus, anyone near me would have needed to upgrade PPE to include a gas mask. Was a mighty fine curry though, the girls did good!

There was a damn good reason I spent the afternoon in the air in a picker the other week after a particularly fine curry lunch in catering. Jesus, anyone near me would have needed to upgrade PPE to include a gas mask. Was a mighty fine curry though, the girls did good!
when i was eating a chili in one the guy sat opersit me was coughing over the smell

Reply to steel trunking and earthing straps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net