Discuss Step Down converter needed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Benzo

-
Reaction score
Hi Benzo, welcome to the forums.

On the speakers, there is going to be a ratings plate which provides details of the power consumption etc. Can you take a photograph of it and post the photo?

Depending on the type of power supply (which is likely to be switch mode these days, but may not be for audio gear) it may operate quite safely on 240v @ 50Hz. But we would need to see the ratings plate to be in with a chance of providing an answer or further guidance.

The US uses 120v mains, so presumably you will need a 120 volt transformer. A good, but bulky, source would be a 110v site transformer available from Screwfix, Toolstation etc. (110 or 120v is neither then or there).

But someone is lying on the spec. It claims 1000w output but only 450w power use!

Site transformers are not rated at continuous output so get one rated at around 1000 VA.

DON'T just change the plug. 240 volts will kill, a plug does not know what the voltage is.

Hi Benzo, welcome to the forums.

On the speakers, there is going to be a ratings plate which provides details of the power consumption etc. Can you take a photograph of it and post the photo?

Depending on the type of power supply (which is likely to be switch mode these days, but may not be for audio gear) it may operate quite safely on 240v @ 50Hz. But we would need to see the ratings plate to be in with a chance of providing an answer or further guidance.
I have not yet received the item its currently in transit. I did find an online manual though: Samsung MX-F830B.pdf - https://www.scribd.com/doc/299509455/Samsung-MX-F830B-pdf The name of the device is samsung MX-F830B.

I have not yet received the item its currently in transit. I did find an online manual though: Samsung MX-F830B.pdf - https://www.scribd.com/doc/299509455/Samsung-MX-F830B-pdf The name of the device is samsung MX-F830B.

It does not quote the input voltage/frequency but it does say:

Dual voltage X.

Which I presume means No.

Why did you buy a US model, it implies a European model is available? Does it include the AM tuner option? If so the channel spacings will be wrong for Europe!

It does not quote the input voltage/frequency but it does say:

Dual voltage X.

Which I presume means No.

Why did you buy a US model, it implies a European model is available? Does it include the AM tuner option? If so the channel spacings will be wrong for Europe!
These Hifi systems are really hard to come by these days because Samsung have discontinued the range. I actually had bought a model similar to this one but it was a UK model, but the speakers went missing mysteriously in transit. So I was left with no other choice. I think it only has FM as it comes with an FM antenna and not the AM/FM Antenna as can be seen here: https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/89x1VjG.png
komtwp

The FM de emphasis will be wrong as well, 75µS instead of 50µS. It may sound a bit dull. Another possible problem is that it may only tune in 200kHz steps, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7 etc. Stations on a even number of 100kHz, e.g. Londons Capital Radio on 95.8 will not tune in properly.
These type of equipments really should not be transported across the Atlantic.

Do you still have the UK model minus speakers? You could use the speakers from this one with it and solve lots of problems.

The FM de emphasis will be wrong as well, 75µS instead of 50µS. It may sound a bit dull. Another possible problem is that it may only tune in 200kHz steps, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7 etc. Stations on a even number of 100kHz, e.g. Londons Capital Radio on 95.8 will not tune in properly.
These type of equipments really should not be transported across the Atlantic.

Do you still have the UK model minus speakers? You could use the speakers from this one with it and solve lots of problems.
No I don't I sent it back, so I could get the refund. I don't really mind not having the radio ability because I don't listen to it. I had my eyes set on this Step Down voltage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DY81KRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2F7DZHCHJJNA6&psc=1

It it really is a transformer OK. But I doubt it is as it has voltage converter written on the front panel. Voltage converters are basically a switch mode power supply and I wouldn't use one for any delicate electronics.
The site transformers I previously mentioned are a similar price and are genuine transformers.

It it really is a transformer OK. But I doubt it is as it has voltage converter written on the front panel. Voltage converters are basically a switch mode power supply and I wouldn't use one for any delicate electronics.
The site transformers I previously mentioned are a similar price and are genuine transformers.
Sorry for being stupid here, but is this the one you are talking about this one : https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/carro...0v/60761#product_additional_details_container

You do not need a transformer this big. The specs show the power consumption as 140W, in which case anything say 300W upwards would be OK (it's good to leave a margin for various reasons e.g. waveform distortion).

The output power might be rated at '1000W' but these are not the same watts. There has long been a history of twisting the meaning of 'watts' to make domestic audio gear seem more powerful than it is. A professional amplifier rated at 1000W output, actually driven to 1000W continuously, would set those speakers on fire within a few seconds. I would guess the RMS output of the unit to be around 40 watts per channel.

Re 'voltage converter' vs. 'transformer'; yes, you do need a wirewound transformer but most units of reasonable size and weight will be. There used to be switched-mode voltage droppers but they were conspicuously small and light, and only any good for old fashioned non-electronic appliances. The unit linked in post 12 is clearly a transformer from its weight. Note the 700W continuous rating on a unit badged 1000W.

You do not need a transformer this big. The specs show the power consumption as 140W, in which case anything say 300W upwards would be OK (it's good to leave a margin for various reasons e.g. waveform distortion).
You are right. Now why did I see power consumption at 450W?

One of these would do:
UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 300Va - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5300.html

Interesting it is not much difference in cost to a site transformer and is an auto transformer rather than fully isolated. Down to bulk manufacturing I suppose.

Less bulky in the lounge though.

Reply to Step Down converter needed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net