Discuss Storage Heater- ASBESTOS???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lspark

-
Reaction score
Storage Heater- ASBESTOS???? 5D1F96E0-00CE-4BFA-BD89-D161F97D3FAC - EletriciansForums.net Storage Heater- ASBESTOS???? D108E1F5-0039-4430-B185-242813600BF9 - EletriciansForums.net Hi, I’ve been asked to replace some old storage heaters from a flat - they seem very old and I’m a bit worried they contain asbestos. I couldn’t find any make or model numbers on them. I’ve attached photos , it’s a long shot but if any storage rad experts out there and knows please help.

Cant see from the photo what manufacturer they are. Are there any data badges on the side of the heater?

Yeah that’s what I thought too - the flat is an old Victorian building in London and could easily be before that but not sure.

I did think they’re doing well to still be working if they are pre 1974 . The bricks are definitely vertical in these

It’s not the bricks that contain asbestos. I believe that it can be found in the sheets of insulation materials that are in SOME of the EARLY rads.

Did pre-1974 bricks contain asbestos? The ones I disposed of in the late 1900's certainly did not.

Typed at the same time as Taylortwocities.

im no expert but theres a flimsy white sheet of fabric insulation between the metal cover and bricks. best maybe contact council for that area maybe theve done checks for other similar rads/propertys

Thank you. I asked this because I have been given storage heater bricks but dont know what heater(s) they came from or how old they are. I don't know whether they might be contaminated or if they are safe to use.

View attachment 47906 View attachment 47907 Hi, I’ve been asked to replace some old storage heaters from a flat - they seem very old and I’m a bit worried they contain asbestos. I couldn’t find any make or model numbers on them. I’ve attached photos , it’s a long shot but if any storage rad experts out there and knows please help.
Have you looked on the underside of the unit, might need a mirror or phone camera to make it easier to check

It is the dust that can cause problems in storage heaters as it can be contaminated with asbestos did a few jobs around 30 -35 years ago where it was found that the dust within the heater when tested was found to contain 3 - 4 parts million of asbestos particles. To replace the heaters they had to be bagged and sealed in situ and removed complete
Until it is confirmed the heater does not contain asbestos I would be reluctant to remove any covers or strip down any storage heater

Reply to Storage Heater- ASBESTOS???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock