Discuss Storage Heater CU Replacements. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudnik

Just had a conversation with the tech's at Elecsa about replacing a storage heater CU and the 17th with RCD's and RCBO's etc.

Basically, you DO NOT need to provide RCD protection to each circuit individually.

An RCD main switch at 30mA is perfectly acceptable to cover all the circuits.

:)

I would say what about discrimination ie one storage heater pops the sw ( the stat goes or the thermal cutout which can happen quite often with old ones ) and you lose all your heaters in one go NO heating in entire house/flat .Does not sound right to me if anything needs to be on separate rcbo's then its your heating for the house.

I understand what you are saying Scott, but the only reason we have to use RCBO's or dual RCD boards is for circuit separation in the event of a fault, (and the 50mm rule) taking out an RCD with, say, all the lighting on it, which would then increase the risks of injury going to reset the tripped RCD.

Safety wise, there is no risk if the heating has tripped, just an inconvenience.

No different if your boiler breaks down. Its not unsafe, it just doesnt work.

"Safety wise there is no risk ".Not unless Granny freezes to death in the night because all her heating went out .

You would have to be unlucky for that to happen but ?

Regs are in the van .But if you change the board then it must comply with 17th

From my experience storage heaters can be a pain in the arse.I used to work for council maintenance and in the cold months we were always going round to reset the thermal cut out.

Its your call and if Elecsa say its cool then its cool

end of the day it will be you going back if any faults arise (alright before you changed the board syndrome)

"What would you do if it was your house' is always a good yardstick

Im with you on all of that.

However, the Cu would be 17th as all of the circuits would be protected via the RCD main switch.

Again, with granny, no different if the boiler packed up!:)

REG 314 "DIVISION OF INSTALLATION"
(1)AVOID HAZARDS AND MINIMIZE INCONVENIENCE IN THE EVENT OF A FAULT

How are you complying with this reg as stated inBs7671

Hope its warm where you live !

Ps don't show your Granny this thread she might get offended

Reply to Storage Heater CU Replacements. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock