Discuss Storage Heater Recommendations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Charlie_

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As part of a conversion from a town house to a kind of HMO I have been asked to quote for all electric heating + electric showers (5).
Qualifies for ‘comfy heat tariff’.
I have put forms in to upgrade from 1 to 3 phase.
I’m looking at the Dimplex Quantum range, because it’s a brand with a good reputation,etc.
Also has anybody done any comparisons with gas for running costs?
My initial thoughts are that even with half price tariff the electric heating costs will be substantially more expensive than gas?

I thought the new 24hr heaters from Rointe or Haverland were more efficient than using storage and off peak.?

Maybe I shouldnt believe everything I read in the wholesalers.

Gas would still be cheaper to run, but customer must have his reasons.

Electric ovens too? Will a 3 phase supply be enough?

When I did the calcs, about a year ago, elec was 2.3 x cost of gas. Using a modern combination boiler for comparison.
When compared to reverse cycle a/c the cost were similar for gas / elec.

I read up on the rointe heaters and it would appear from how I read it that they are more efficient based not on running costs but on their efficiency on lost heat. Storage heaters lose approx 5%, whereas the rointe type are 100% efficient..
Also trying to factor in that everything else will cost less off peak but the tenants don’t pay the bill so they won’t be conscientious.
One of their main concerns is also less maintenance issues with electric

Here is an on-line planner and cost tool which includes a button for storage heaters:

I used it when I thought about installing a SH in each of three one-bed small flats but I could not because there was no wall position to fit them.

My research on the makes led me to Dimplex Quantum dual supply SHs.

I had a customer who changed her nightstores to rointe heaters on the advice of a friend and regrets it now with her winter bill up 20%

That’s interesting. I know some of these fly-by-night companies that offer less efficient heaters as storage heater replacements can cost a lot more to run.... not even electricians.... change dp switch to socket, plug in and run.

Would be good to know how accurate each manufacturers claims are.

The fundamental issue with storage heaters is that you must have a 'Night time' or 'Economy 7' tariff. Here in the UK, the cheap night time rate only ever comes with an astronomically high daytime rate... which means that you have to work very hard to ensure that you use as much power at night as possible. So things like washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers all need to have some sort of timeswitch control.

Also... most electric heaters are nearly 100% efficient (where else does the power input go apart from heat ?). However, it's the on/off control that makes the difference. For reasons that I haven't yet fully fathomed, alot of electric heaters have a 'set back' temp setting, which means that this over-rides the thermostat.

Fortunately our DNO is government owned.
So sneaky tariff hikes aren’t allowed.
Usual price or half price :)

So things like washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers all need to have some sort of timeswitch control.

unfortunately this can't be done with most modern appliances. you need to physically press the start button, so a time switch will not work. means a late night or 2. press start @ 12.30 a.m. then bed.

So things like washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers all need to have some sort of timeswitch control.

unfortunately this can't be done with most modern appliances. you need to physically press the start button, so a time switch will not work. means a late night or 2. press start @ 12.30 a.m. then bed.
Most now come with a delay function as standard - mainly washing machines.
Off peak is 12 to 6am and 3pm to 5pm.. so not too bad really

my dishwasher has a delay function..... needs a kick to get her started.

Most now come with a delay function as standard - mainly washing machines.
Off peak is 12 to 6am and 3pm to 5pm.. so not too bad really

Off peak times vary depending on which tariff and/or what time each supply is set up for. Otherwise the whole country going to off peak at the same time would present a bit of a surge to the grid.

I think if the whole country was to switch on at those times it would no longer be known as ‘off peak’.
Those are the hours at which the grid is at its lowest demand and I think why the suppliers are trying to attract more use at those times.

Fitted a bunch of these recently:

They are easy to fit, wall or ceiling, and seem very efficient, save floor space too...but you can't air your knickers on them, obvo...

I've fitted quite a few dimplex XLE's, and a few quantums. I think they're really good heaters if I am honest. The XLEs are easier to fit than the quantums I find too.

The ones I fitted did mate, I haven't had a look though to see if Dimplex do a standard off peak one, don't think they do. I tend to fit the dual supply ones in place of the older single supply ones, always a bit of a pain when there is no S/O close by for the 24hr supply.

I'm ashamed to say I've fitted loads of electric solutions.
My experience of Dimplex customer services is poor to say the least. The Quantum's are rebadged, updated, up talked modern looking items but the technology/principle is still 50 year old with a digital display. I agree they are fiddly to fit. Yes they need 2 feeds for off peak and peak boost.

Rointe are fine, thermostatically controllable and programmable. Plenty of other Rointe type solutions around at the wholesalers.

Reply to Storage Heater Recommendations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock