Discuss Stories of working in rough dwellings, both Private and Social housing. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I worked in some real dung holes whilst rewiring a local Council estate in South Twerton in Bath, you could work in one on a pair of Semis real nice people, move next door to a stinking hovel, got taken to the Council de lousing depot more than once, makes you wonder how some people could live in that state.

Started out re-wiring council flats and houses. Also student HMOs.
No good for those with weak stomachs or over sensitive nostrils
Mind you some of the well off Gaffs weren't much better, were they?

I did a rewire of a house that we had to refuse on the first instance. The lady had about 40 cats and no litter trays. The floorboards were caked in cat$hit and even though it was fumigated it was still terrible. They offered us 3 times the pay so we got wrapped up with gaffa tape and white disposable everything and got stuck in. The quickest rewire in the world.

I still remember having to prise my screwdriver off the greasy linoleum floor in one council dive I worked in as an apprentice.

Even now, some houses can turn my stomach, even though the occupants are clean and well off, the houses are filthy.

It aint much better today @Pete999 to be honest. Twerton is being gentrified as its about the only place that is still cheap but a lot of them prefab houses are cash only no mortgages. full of asbestos and metal cladding, non standard construction and banks dont like them. mainly bought by landlords cheap and rented out for a tidy sum.
Bit by bit its getting better but there is still some places in Twerton I avoid, im conveniently booked up when i find the address!
By the way I finished your little book, you certainly get around and have some stories to tell!

It aint much better today @Pete999 to be honest. Twerton is being gentrified as its about the only place that is still cheap but a lot of them prefab houses are cash only no mortgages. full of asbestos and metal cladding, non standard construction and banks dont like them. mainly bought by landlords cheap and rented out for a tidy sum.
Bit by bit its getting better but there is still some places in Twerton I avoid, im conveniently booked up when i find the address!
By the way I finished your little book, you certainly get around and have some stories to tell!
What places are you referring to Gav? I can think of one or two, Redland Park, Carrswood, Whiteway, can't recall the name those dwellings just off the LBR are, like a Rabbit Warren for druggies, it's been a while since I was there. I live in Newton Road, some good people there in my time, most were Admiralty employees, my Da was a QS for the Builder, so somehow wangled a House, seems that in some areas Council tenants have gotten a bad name,and for the majority it doesn't fit.

Last edited:
My mum used to be housing officers the stories she can tell wpuld make your hair stand on end.

A few years ago she had a border type she dealing with. When inspecting the property all the old electrical accessories had been left in place after the rewire, sparkie must of just buggered off pronto.

Had a job doing social housing as above some good some really really bad places right next to each other!

That experience totally changed how I use my vote !
Nice old couple one day scum of the earth the next

One day we had to do a small job in a wardens house
Bloke said here's the key lads , help yourselves to tea and biscuits and I'll be back later
All we had to do was change faceplates in kitchen and fit and plumb a shower

Took first few switches and sockets off and all wiring was old colours
Phoned the clerk of works to check as the normal job we were doing was to completely rewire kitchens and bathrooms all new circuits

He checked and came back with the fact the whole place had been rewired 4 years earlier

I told him to come round and see for himself

He turns up an hour later with the certs and paperwork

I took the board cover off to show him the old T&Eand 2 VIR cables

Customer turns up ,Clerk starts asking him questions
"Yes it was definitely rewired 4 years ago , only took the two lads 3 hrs and they never made a bit of mess"

Turned out after the investigation that this NICEIC company had supposedly rewired 200 houses and had actually only changed the switches and sockets full certs done which were definitely "drive by tested"

A senior Housing association exec got sacked as he'd been in on it and the whole thing was kept quiet ,

We were given the rewires to do, contract stated very strongly we were not to talk about the HA business to anyone

What places are you referring to Gav? I can think of one or two, Redland Park, Carrswood, Whiteway, can't recall the name those dwellings just off the LBR are, like a Rabbit Warren for druggies, it's been a while since I was there. I live in Newton Road, some good people there in my time, most were Admiralty employees, my Da was a QS for the Builder, so somehow wangled a House, seems that in some areas Council tenants have gotten a bad name,and for the majority it doesn't fit.
Redland park is still a bit iffy... whiteway is okay now, even risewarn close is getting gentrified. Mainly private via right to buy and sold on. Good solid built houses better than most modern ones.
I live off lwr bristol road and its all being developed full of hmos and student blocks now.
Newton road aint too bad. Though across the road in redland park is rough as heck.
Poolemead road is okay apart from the apartment blocks! Often find doors hanging off there.
I grew up in Odd Down just up Rush Hill.
Snow hill is a bit iffy mind the tall blocks are a right eyesore and drug central.

I could tell you a hundred stories of my council house rewires.
I'm 62 now but as an apprentice my company took on all those jobs.
It was good money though, we got 30 hours each per rewire.
So 60 hours a week, finish Friday dinner. All the houses were identical so we had the right floorboards up and the lighting wired before breakfast.
But shitholes...oh my god.
I was putting the batten holder up in the bathroom and the woman came in, hitched her skirt up, dropped her drawers and had a full mashings on the pot. I nearly puked at the smell.
Another woman brought her clients back - you know, clients.
About 6 a day. We had to run wires through the bedroom between the intercourse sessions.
We got fleas from one house so the council smoke bombed it and we got de-loused.
A gang decided to Rob our van but didn't realise 12 sparkies came in that van. They got the kicking of their life.
Found a wire under the floorboards that went next door. This house was stealing electricity, and they had everything plugged into it.
One house had no outside doors, just curtains. Half the floorboards were missing too. They had burned them on the fire to keep warm. Sad that really.

Yep, houses where your feet stick to the carpet and you can’t breath in due to the ammonia smell. Dog s**t on the carpet. Baby in high chair drops bread on floor, dog licks it, mum picks up and gives back to baby. Talk about building a good immune system o_O

I could tell you a hundred stories of my council house rewires.
I'm 62 now but as an apprentice my company took on all those jobs.
It was good money though, we got 30 hours each per rewire.
So 60 hours a week, finish Friday dinner. All the houses were identical so we had the right floorboards up and the lighting wired before breakfast.
But shitholes...oh my god.
I was putting the batten holder up in the bathroom and the woman came in, hitched her skirt up, dropped her drawers and had a full mashings on the pot. I nearly puked at the smell.
Another woman brought her clients back - you know, clients.
About 6 a day. We had to run wires through the bedroom between the intercourse sessions.
We got fleas from one house so the council smoke bombed it and we got de-loused.
A gang decided to Rob our van but didn't realise 12 sparkies came in that van. They got the kicking of their life.
Found a wire under the floorboards that went next door. This house was stealing electricity, and they had everything plugged into it.
One house had no outside doors, just curtains. Half the floorboards were missing too. They had burned them on the fire to keep warm. Sad that really.
I know what you mean, I have been there. We use to go to houses with two electricians, one to do the job and one to look after the van!

This is my life at work everyday. I have so many photos. And these arent even the worst ive came across.

What offends me the most is i went to one similar to this the other week..now the tenants have letters stating the day and time ill be arriving. I turn up with company gear on, steps, expensive tester and company folder...can already see the state of the place and im asked for i.d

Seriously mate....i wouldn't wanna step foot in there unless i had too...i can assure you im legit

Stories of working in rough dwellings, both Private and Social housing. 20181218_092959 - EletriciansForums.net

Stories of working in rough dwellings, both Private and Social housing. 20181218_100504 - EletriciansForums.net

Stories of working in rough dwellings, both Private and Social housing. 20181218_100958 - EletriciansForums.net

makes you wonder how some people could live in that state.
its those people who place more value in where they can get their drugs or cases of whiskey.
my neighbor has 5 kids and 3 large dogs but she keeps her place spotless.
yet single guy down the street his place is a s#!T pit i cant go near the place due to the roaches (allergies)
he has a job but spends his off time drunk on his arse
had one job to do for an elderly lady bathroom was disgusting toilet wouldn't flush water was shut off to it for a broken line and the pot was full of dung. and adult kids playing video games in living room
after i fixed the lamp I replaced the waterline with a spare i had in the van
After making sure it worked right i proceeded to raise hell with the kids because they could have at least used the mop bucket to flush but were too damn lazy.
the old gal and her one daughter were both handicapped and should not have had to live with those conditions (they had to live like that for about 6 months)
i should have pressed charges for elder abuse, all they needed to do was call me earlier.

Last edited:
I think the one that rattled me most was when helping a mate out who was at the time looking after a landlord with 100 social housing tenants.
We got called to a loss of power and turned up to find the mother and her friend just arrived back from shopping with a gaggle of kids in tow. The mums ensconced themselves in the kitchen and cracked open their litre bottles of WKD, it was after 10am after all, and let the kids do their usual stuff. This turned out to be a toddler running about naked apart from his ---- filled nappy, playing slap the staffy in the face, and generally throwing stuff around the room.

The CU was in the hallway, at toddler height, had no mcb cover, and was missing all the blanks which left three modules open. We took the lid off to find the CU full of coins and small toys which the kids had been keeping in there. The loss of power had presumably come from one of the circuits having been pulled free from the mcb, presumably by the small hands that had clearly been in there. We informed the tenant of the situation and she informed us that she wasn't surprised as they were all little bastards.
My heart absolutely sank as one of those kids so easily could have been killed, and they were in the care of someone who just didn't know how to care.

Other properties for the same landlord included the couple that had tried to bypass their meter and burnt half the house down, the toilet that was blocked so the tenants started depositing their doings on the bathroom floor..... looked about a week's worth. Oh and the handyman/rent collector for this landlord that worked in all the family properties was a paedophile who got sent to prison whilst my mate was working for the landlord. He obviously got rehired on his release.

Reply to Stories of working in rough dwellings, both Private and Social housing. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock