Discuss stranded core 2.5mm creating continuity. between line and neutral. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kyran

-
Reaction score
HI all

I know neutral faults can be hard to find, different techniques are aways good to learn.

I went to a clients house to fix a faults and look at the ability of the house to accept a new modern board. They almost drilled though a cable stopping before they went thought the whole cable.

I am to return to the clients house, to find the remaining fault.

During testing end to end on line/line is 0.40ohms like wise for neutral/neutral but if I connect the my meter, one clip line and one to neutral (at DB) you get a continuity reading 13.95 ohm this is with all conductors disconnected from the board. this is a house they have just bought. So i am guess this fault has been around for a long time.

I have corrected the sockets that high/fluctuating reading and confirmed that the polarity on all the socket is right.(loss connections) As this is stranded 2.5 mm could it be a possibility that a couple of strand have strayed in one of the sockets that I have not taken off. or that some of the sockets be faulty. they are the newer style design MK so not the sockets that would have been put in the house.

When I go back I was going to start braking up the ring until i loss continuity but this can be time consuming and you have to put it all back again. At and you can make more problems.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/technics.

Bits of back round.

The board old rewardable ceramic holders. there is only two circuits in the whole house one ring main and lights. (three bed semi dictated house) lighting is 1mm does not have an earth/CPC

The new fitted kitchen was replaced a few years a go, but the did a poor job of it. they did not make a new kitchen circuit the fitted fridge can not be unplugged or isolated from the circuit with out trying to get the fridge out of its cabinet. it looks like they have taken cable of sockets instead of using FCU to feed washing/dishwasher machine.

The 13.95 Ohm L to N sounds like you've not yet disconnected all loads, ... e.g. a transformer somewhere.

Are you sure that 13.95 ohms is l-e and not l-n?

The 13.95 Ohm L to N sounds like you've not yet disconnected all loads, ... e.g. a transformer somewhere.

MMM true. I could not disconnect unplug the fridge when testing as its fitted in with out an FCU on it. Would a fridge/dishwasher/washing white app have the same effect at a transformer guessing the would as they all have motors in..

it's obviously a load that's still connected. not a fault at all. might well be fridge as the resistance reading is misleading. the a.c. impedance will be considerably higher as it inductive.

Reply to stranded core 2.5mm creating continuity. between line and neutral. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net