Discuss Strange design of Induction Hob power input, advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's good thinking, the relay is an OMRON G2R-1A-E-DC12 but its a general purpose 16A. A couple of PCB track calculators are giving values around 1.5 A for a 0.035mm track 0.5mm wide so I don't have any confidence in that. I guess a 7A fuse will be a good starting place and I can increase from there!

That's good thinking, the relay is an OMRON G2R-1A-E-DC12 but its a general purpose 16A. A couple of PCB track calculators are giving values around 1.5 A for a 0.035mm track 0.5mm wide so I don't have any confidence in that. I guess a 7A fuse will be a good starting place and I can increase from there!
That's fair enough, you wouldn't think the relay would be maxed out so 10A protection may be a good starting point, as has been suggested. For confidence it's not a bad idea to solder in a fuse anyway, maybe 7A-10A 20mm ceramic, or whatever you have to hand.

Track calculators will give you the current limit for a modest temperature rise, typically 10 degrees, for a fuse you need to exceed the melting point of copper so the target temperature is a bit more extreme.:)

So, 1st June. How did that happen!

The hob has been temporailiy istalled to give it a test drive and so far so good! The 10A normal mains fuse is working, I've had both hobs running at maximum, the highest output is Boost on the bigger one and power 8 on the smaller one and it was quite happy boiling water until the cows cam home - so its fixed!

Its noticeably faster than the resistance type, on boost it sounds like a kettle and boils very quickly. The heat immediately disappears so it been a good experience.

Here's a picture of the temporary installation, to amuse, baffle or anger at the viewers choice ;-)

Cheers,IMG_20190601_192512.png

Reply to Strange design of Induction Hob power input, advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net