Discuss strange fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

Strange fault.
Rewire, 8 circuits all rcbo protected
Tests out ok
Intermittent fault
Turn basement lights off at switch (fed via a 6a rcbo)

basement power trips? (on an adjacent 16a rcbo)
no crossed neutrals.

The 16a rcbo trips when turning lights off not on?
Any ideas, never seen this type of fault before.

Impossible ? you would think, or i would

a dodgy connection somewhere could be the cause. any chance there is a shared neutral somewhere on the installation, or even a polarity reversal?

I have come across very similar problem due to rcbos all together and one was affecting the other just by being next to it, forget offhand which make of rcbo it was but think it may have been hager? Was a good while ago and was feeding server units/racking system. Not encoutered same problem since though.

I have come across very similar problem due to rcbos all together and one was affecting the other just by being next to it, forget offhand which make of rcbo it was but think it may have been hager? Was a good while ago and was feeding server units/racking system. Not encoutered same problem since though.
so that could be something similar to an induced voltage affecting adjacent RCBO? clutching at an ethereal straw here! LOL.

What light has been fitted in the basement?

Had a fault before whenever i turned the kitchen flourescent off it would trip the RCD
bit of a strange one, but narrowed it down to the neutrals being loose in the fitting

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies, no weed!
Basement lighting has 3 fluros, and one pir flood.
Basement power has one twin socket, and CH boiler.

I thought maybe dodgy connection, but then thought that should trip the rcbo circuit concerned.

no reversed polarity. Brand new installation, I have rewired, so scratching head not appropriate.

Proteus board,rcbo's. Swapped rcbo, same happens.

Doesn't always trip, but fairly regular...soon as I switch basement lights off, basement power trips...def. something to do with basement light circuit. I'm thinking some crazy induction type thingy. Never seen it before, so I have to scratch head in secret..away from client

Try loose neutrals in one of the flourescents, had a almost identical fault a few months back

Proteus board doesnt say much for you though, what were you thinking fitting that ****e ! haha

You could try swapping RCBOs around so that the two in question are not adjacent (pref at opposite ends of the board). That might confirm or eliminate the theory of RCBOs influencing each other.

Out of interest,does the proteus rcbos have a earth tail

If there are
Here is my stab in the dark

I believe the rcbos with the earth tail are more electronic rather than mechanical and the earth tail monitors the voltage between neutral and earth

The fluorescent lights may produce a back emf when the choke magnetic field collapses when switched off
This may cause induction into the cpc which unsettles the other rcbos electronics

Maybe cables running alongside the chokes causing the problem

If there are earth tails,try disconnecting them to see if they stay in

Last edited:
Yes des, they do have earth tails. I did disconnect tail on lighting rcbo..(similar thoughts to you)...now just realised I should have disconnected the tail on the 16a rcbo... Try that tomoz and or move rcbo to other end of board....see what happens (yes proteus are a pain) no room and crap screws, but i would expect them to be ok electronically

nothing wrong with proteus boards... in a skip.

If your lighting cct is not tripping when you switch off the basement lights and only the 16 A RCBO trips out my money is on that one being faulty in some internal way IMO.

Have you tried replacing the 16A one for another to see if the problem replicates its self.

As you have stated the RCBO should be electronically OK but with lots of things these days you are now the quality control person but don't get paid for it.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!!

Reply to strange fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock