Discuss Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was called out yesterday to a customer that has been having trouble with the electric tripping on various circuits (16th edition mem2000 board)
When I got there I had a quick look and couldn't find anything obvious anyway cut a long story short did a full eicr, all circuits good.
She's phoned the dno no reported problems in the area.
Ive explained it's probably something they're using as it never trips when they're out, or maybe could be a water leak after a shower etc, but still no pattern.
I've isolated the outside lights and it still occurred last night.
The strange bit though is its the non rcd side and she's claiming the main switch tripped along with some mcb's.
I thought perhaps a faulty switch so replaced with one I had in the van but as I said it happened again ! Is this possible as I've never come across a switch that switches itself off and no its definatley not an rcd. It's 1990's house and doesn't appear to have been messed around with too much.
Confused please help!!
:rolleyes4:

definitely a weird one. since you said various circuits, it's obviously not something stupid like an overload in the kitchen or something. odd about the main switch too. let us know if you do figure it out!

No all the house sockets are on the rcd side and even with everything on (sockets, oven, hob and all the lights.)it was pulling less than 40amps on the clamp meter.
Seems to be both light circuits tripping with the main switch?

both light circuits tripping. you mentioned you isolated the outside lights..
guessing they are on one or both of the circuits tripping? also, how many outside lights are there? any chance they are overloading? long shot I know.

It was one i took out and it was good but it was second hand and been in van for a while, I suppose I thought it was a bit of a coincidence for two to be same may be worth trying a new one ?

I'm guessing you or the customer couldn't recreate the fault whilst you were there? may be possible they are confusing main switch with an mcb...

if she's sure the main switch is tripping, and you can't get the fault to occur whilst there, I can only see two possible things to do.
1) take her to Specsavers
2) live there for a week till t happens and see what they're doing when it does :)

If the switch has the facility, lock it on with a padlock, and see if it manages to 'trip' then. (ok don't really do this, something of a safety issue!)

Reply to Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net